NEC article 300 Table 300.50 (minimum cover requirements)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxphy14

The city street lights are all that is left to go underground. Also existing utility infrastructure are relocated every already underground beneath the roadway. Is the concrete sidewalk considered an Exterior Concrete Slab (table 300.50). The conduit size is 3/4 inch.

JDB3

I understand you reason for wanting to do this, but, what happens when the sidewalk needs to be repaired? How will someone know that there are electric lines below it? I know around here we are "suppose to" call "Dig Test" before doing any digging or repairing. I have seen them not locate lines & miss their location by 3 feet.

At a recent airport modification here, so much was "not" shown on the plans or located, that they just kept on digging & had people on standby to repair all of the stuff that they broke! :thumbsdown:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I understand you reason for wanting to do this, but, what happens when the sidewalk needs to be repaired? How will someone know that there are electric lines below it? I know around here we are "suppose to" call "Dig Test" before doing any digging or repairing. I have seen them not locate lines & miss their location by 3 feet.

At a recent airport modification here, so much was "not" shown on the plans or located, that they just kept on digging & had people on standby to repair all of the stuff that they broke! :thumbsdown:
According to footnote...
dThe slab shall extend a minimum of 150 mm (6 in.) beyond the underground installation, and a warning ribbon or other effective means suitable for the conditions shall be placed above the underground installation.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is 300.50 really the correct section for this installation? 3/4" conduit seems small for over 1,000 volt conductors.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Is 300.50 really the correct section for this installation? 3/4" conduit seems small for over 1,000 volt conductors.
Good point. I noticed that when I first read the OP but got sidetracked and forgot to bring it up. Likely falls under Table 300.5.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
So lets say you go with a reduced depth.In the future, someone is digging and "we don't need locates" the power is 24"
deep.
I saw a contractor dig up a 6" thick road panel with the 3" rigid signal conduit below it, took it out. Worked until 2 in the morning getting it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.