What single tool have you lost, or had to replace the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goroon

Lost tools?

Lost tools?

I can take my pouch with me set it down, use any tool and look or step away.
WHA-LA, ALA-POOF. 1 in 15 times my Scotch 33 is gone.
Is Tape a Tool?:confused:

iwire

Staff member
Mine are only good for #10. Id hate to see a pair that fits #4 perfect. Ouch

I have pair that was easily a 8 AWG, more like a 6 AWG.

That was a MC for a 277 volt lighting circuit I was sure was dead .............. BANG ....... it sounded like a M80. I was fine except for needing new shorts. I spend more time verifying now.

Besoeker

I don't often lose tools and stuff.
But I had had things taken without permission aka stolen.
I have a toolbox that I cart around and it's permanently in the trunk of my car. But one time I was on site (at a paper mill) and it was a bit of a hike from the substation to the car so I left the toolbox overnight in the sub, inside a cupboard. And the substation was locked. Should be OK, I thought. But it wasn't.
Somebody got in, unloaded a nice set of wrenches and some other things from my toolbox then stuck it back in the cupboard.
Next day, it took me a little while to realise what had happened. The the company I was visiting replaced the stolen wrenches which was a nice gesture. The some other things took me some time to discover.
I suppose, like most here, you know what you have - even things you don't use very often. You don't know that they are missing until you need to use them. Then it can aggravting to say the least.

That said, the worst I had was my laptop being stolen. We were returning from a holiday in Malta. With the limitation on hand carried items I had a choice of whether to carry my camera or my laptop. I picked the camera. The laptop went into a suitcase. It got stolen some time between check in and arrival back home.

Of course, everything not backed up was lost.

JohnJ0906

I seem to need to replace T-strippers and tape measures the most, due to wear and tear.

I seem to replace sharpies the most from losing/lending. :mad:

I just gave up on sharpies. I bought a set of markers from the dollar store last night. If I have to supply markers for my coworkers, they are getting the cheap stuff.

fondini

make-up

make-up

gloves... pulling wire, bending pipe, running mc I like wearing them.... but I don't like wearing them for make up.. so I put them down and never remember where I put them... I eventually find them after I buy a new pair.

I was always losing the 25' chrome stanley tape measures everyone seems to have these... right up until I bought a big ugly cheap green one. I have had this one a long long time now, also started putting my name on the back side of the 20' mark :wink:

ummmm....you wear make up? lol:D

jottie77

Missing tools

Missing tools

The tool for me is a drywall saw (hands down). I go through them at a crazy rate. I try to use a cardboard box to try to capture the drywall dust when adding outlets or lights and the saw seems to always end up in the box when I throw it away. Hopefully I will fiqure that out one day. LOL

dduffee260

Ugh, we had a conex get broken into two weeks ago. The list of stolen items included 3 combo sets of battery tools, a Burndy PAT750, Maxis Triggers, Milwaukee hole hawgs, Super hawgs and 3 or 4 pouch tool sets. Plus more I believe. About 10k in all total. What a mess this has been to clean up and replace.

TOOL_5150

Ugh, we had a conex get broken into two weeks ago. The list of stolen items included 3 combo sets of battery tools, a Burndy PAT750, Maxis Triggers, Milwaukee hole hawgs, Super hawgs and 3 or 4 pouch tool sets. Plus more I believe. About 10k in all total. What a mess this has been to clean up and replace.

Now, that person or persons, need to have their arms broken.:mad:

Sorry to hear about the loss.

~Matt

danickstr

extension cords are what walk away from me the most. I think someone plugs into them and I just assume it must be theirs. I try to pay more attention now, having been mislead out of several in the past couple years.

dduffee260

extension cords are what walk away from me the most. I think someone plugs into them and I just assume it must be theirs. I try to pay more attention now, having been mislead out of several in the past couple years.

Ours have our name and phone number on them. We get them from MilSpec Industries for around $39 per 100ft cord. Seems like on some projects they are collectors items.

I was always losing the 25' chrome stanley tape measures everyone seems to have these... right up until I bought a big ugly cheap green one. I have had this one a long long time now, also started putting my name on the back side of the 20' mark :wink:

That trick got me back 2 tapes, One I lost and someone else found (he insisted I take it back)
Another that a helper took and insisted it was his until I told him to pull it out to the 10' mark and turn it over.

danickstr

the trick to not losing a tape is to get the crummiest one there is. Never fails to remain yours for a good long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.