Supervision of temporary power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

erbsnack

Although it's probably a good, safe practice, I'm trying to find out if there are any codes, building, fire, NEC or other, that specifically require temporary power to be shut off when unattended. At my building specifically, we have a truck drive up to a bulkhead connection on the exterior of our building and single feeders (stage cable with "Cam loks") routed overhead and over a sidewalk and back down to feed the truck. the guys on the truck want to leave the temp energized when away on overnights so they can leave the heat on so it's toasty in the morning when they return. Although the feeders go overhead, and the connections are in locked panels, the hard use service cord does travel up a wall adjacent to pedestrian foot traffic and back down to the street on the other side before being connected to the truck. I'm uncomfortable with soft jacketed cable being energized when there is no supervision and the cable is not "protected from damage." An AHJ would probably make the call to have someone always supervising the feeders when energized, but can anyone cite an actual requirement in any nationally recognized applicable code?​

I don't think you'll find a national code that says to shut it off. City, maybe, but doubtful.

As long as the cables are protected from damage and aren't a tripping hazard, I wouldn't think I'd think twice about keeping them energized. How is the cable overhead not protected? And if it's within easy reach of prying hands, build a plywood cover and call it a day.

What's in the truck? If it's electronics, they're going to be a lot happier kept energized and at a stable temperature than cycling above and below the dew point.

Status
Not open for further replies.