Safety contactor - Electronic or diode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to educate myself with safety contactor. Allen Bradley offers their 100S series with electronic and diode.

The electronic pulls about 80ma at 24v. It measures 450kish ohms across the terminals. I'm guessing a fet in there.

Question I have is why would I prefer one over the other.

thank you
Bob

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I am trying to educate myself with safety contactor. Allen Bradley offers their 100S series with electronic and diode.

The electronic pulls about 80ma at 24v. It measures 450kish ohms across the terminals. I'm guessing a fet in there.

Question I have is why would I prefer one over the other.

thank you
Bob

One over the other what? You mean Electronic over Conventional DC coil? If so, mainly it's because an electronic coil consumes less coil power, so less heat etc., which can make a difference if your control system is using a battery backup system for your DC control power. Plus, a conventional DC coil requires what's called an "economizer circuit" which is a resistor dropped across the coil after it pulls in, which means you consume one of the aux. contacts for it. So if you need all of the aux contacts, you go with the electronic coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.