how do I boost voltage up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MARKSPARK

I have a big three phase plasma cutter that has variable amperage, no problem. My problem is It specifically calls for 280/480 and all I have is a 110/240 panel. What would you guys do to make this work? thanks, Mark.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You might want to re-check the voltages you posted, there is no 280 volt or 110/240 volt US system.

Welcome to the forum. :smile:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
First your voltages do not make sense. Most three phase motors have 240/480V windings (which means they can be wired for either voltage). Then you say that your supply is '120/240', which to me says it is single phase.

What do you really have for a supply?
What 3-phase voltage do you want 240V or 480V?

ron

Mark, do you have only a panel with two ungrounded (hot) conductors to serve the three phase load?
If so, you need a rotary phase converter to make the 3rd phase, and possibly a step up transformer to set the proper voltage.
I agree with the other posters, check your voltage requirements as they don't make sense to what I'm used to seeing.

Rick Christopherson

I am not very familiar with plasma cutters, but I would speculate that they simply rectify the incoming 3-phase to DC. You should still be able to connect this up to your 240v single-phase power, but you will have to limit your output power to about 60% to account for the limitation of the lost rectifier. To smooth out the DC ripple, you could add a motor's run capacitor to the DC circuit.

TOOL_5150

I have a big three phase plasma cutter that has variable amperage, no problem. My problem is It specifically calls for 280/480 and all I have is a 110/240 panel. What would you guys do to make this work? thanks, Mark.

Do you mean 277/480 and 120/240? If your service is 3phase 120/240 then all you need is a step up transformer to 277/480... If you have a single phase service then you will need a rotary converter AND a transformer.

~Matt

Besoeker

I'll take my chances with the assumption that he mistyped the voltages. ;)
I'm sure you are right - it was a tongue-in-cheek comment about your assumption. No offence intended - my sweet wife is from Georgia so I have some familiarity with the similarities and differences.:D
She is also an excellent cook. But I digress.

The "variable amperage" expression was a bit of a give away.
Maybe Mark the Spark will come back and confirm voltages.

MARKSPARK

confirm voltages

confirm voltages

OK thanks for your help guys, I have the manual so I should have the proper info, also here is a link to some guy who has the same plasma cutter

http://www.westermans.com/product2....everance CutFitted with Machine or Hand Torch

The plasma cutter is a hypertherm max 100 and the manual says it is 280 DC not ac my bad I have a 120/240 3 phase panel with a hot leg hopefully this is the right info what should i do? thanks again Markspark

MARKSPARK

correct voltages

correct voltages

I don't know if my last reply submitted, I have the manual so I should have the right info. The plasma cutter is a Hypertherm max 100 and this is a link to the same one some guy has.

http://www.westermans.com/product2....everance CutFitted with Machine or Hand Torch

The manual says it is 280 volts DC not ac, dirty label my bad, the panel I have to work with is 120/240 3 phase with a hot leg. hopefully this is enough info to go by thanks again, what do you guys think? thanks Mark

AE-29

I don't know if my last reply submitted, I have the manual so I should have the right

I don't know if my last reply submitted, I have the manual so I should have the right

http://www.westermans.com/product2.a...20Hand Torch..

I looked at the link and the ad says dual voltage 3 phase. Well, it also says it draws 100 amps@ full voltage. You said the voltage you're woking with is 240/120 with a hot leg (due you mean high leg..not sure) normally one can use a buck-boost transformer or a stepup transf. but the kva rating(about 45) needed is impracticable concerning the cost. Then again, cost may not be a factor. There are other factors too, sizing the ocpd for the transf. and conductors.

hurk27

This unit can be hooked up to variety of voltages, and at 240 it will require 53 amps, but it is a 3 phase unit, so if you have a 3-phase panel then your good to go, just wire it for 240 volts delta, if you have a 120/208 Y then that is what you wire it for, the amount of current will depend upon the voltage, but this machine will wire to almost all US electrical systems with out a problem, as long as you have 3-phase supply, or a roto-phase converter.
It is the output to the cutting head that is 280 volts DC OCV @ 100 amps max.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This unit can be hooked up to variety of voltages, and at 240 it will require 53 amps, but it is a 3 phase unit, so if you have a 3-phase panel then your good to go, just wire it for 240 volts delta, if you have a 120/208 Y then that is what you wire it for, the amount of current will depend upon the voltage, but this machine will wire to almost all US electrical systems with out a problem, as long as you have 3-phase supply, or a roto-phase converter.
It is the output to the cutting head that is 280 volts DC OCV @ 100 amps max.

I agree with Hurk's assessment, just about any 3 phase supply system will work.

hurk27

I read the voltage chart as being Model # dependent, not as being universal.

Download the PDF file I posted in post 14, then scroll down to page 3-6 and 3-7
you will find a "link board" like in many welder power supplys. you are right right on other voltages, but it does show the connections for 240/480v so at least it is a dual voltage machine. 059118 is the number for the 240/480v and 059122 is for the 208v.:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.