Island recpt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotmud

Hey what are you guys using for a cut in box for a recept on the side of an island? For 15 yrs I've been using a shallow metal work box (1 1/2 x 2 x3=9ci)because it's the only box I could find that would fit without hitting the drawers on the inside once I installed it. NOW all of a sudden the inspectors are busting us on the cubic inch of it. 12-2 nm + device + strap= 13.5ci....Any ideas???

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I use these and they are TR. 1 3/4" hole Here is the website
Sillites

New-StepTop-sm.jpg
New-StepThreea-sm.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In the OP's situation, I think there would still be a clearance problem with one of these.

I'm guessing that he's in the side of the cabinet with drawers right behind the box. Sorry for the incorrect calc, I read the box dimensions incorrectly form 314.16.

Last edited:

360Youth

I'm sorry, you lost me at "metal box." ;):smile:
I use the carlon blue pastic shallow box. To be honest I have never actually calculated the space but it is probably because I don't want to know that it may not be enough for one duplex and one 12-2. Never had an inspection problem tho. With a cover on it looks just like a 22R. :grin:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That may be a depth problem , I don't know but drawers usually have some space above them.

Anyway, I make the cabinet guys cut the drawer short or design the cabinet with outlets in mind. I don't have issues with my cabinet guys-- I use 3" boxes or the sillite recep.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm sorry, you lost me at "metal box." ;):smile:
I use the carlon blue pastic shallow box. To be honest I have never actually calculated the space but it is probably because I don't want to know that it may not be enough for one duplex and one 12-2. Never had an inspection problem tho. With a cover on it looks just like a 22R. :grin:

I should have lost you since the calculation I posted was incorrect. The metal box I mentioned only has a cu inch capacity of 7.5. Too small for just about anything. I corrected that post. Sorry for the confusion.

Occupation
Inspector
I'm sorry,...;):smile:
I use the carlon blue pastic shallow box. To be honest I have never actually calculated the space but it is probably because I don't want to know that it may not be enough for one duplex and one 12-2. ... . :grin:

If I am thinking of the right box, I saw a stamp inside one a while back and it was marked 8ci. Customer insisted I use his shallow box and I walked away, I'm not sure who he found to do his work.

raider1

Staff member
If I am thinking of the right box, I saw a stamp inside one a while back and it was marked 8ci. Customer insisted I use his shallow box and I walked away, I'm not sure who he found to do his work.

Correct, the box is marked with 8 CU inches so a 12/2 NM would not work with this box. This is a common violation in my area.

Chris

gotmud

I use these and they are TR. 1 3/4" hole Here is the website
Sillites

New-StepTop-sm.jpg
New-StepThreea-sm.jpg

You know these are not a bad idea assuming I can find a spot above the drawer or below it. I dont see the TR rating though???? Certainly you don't mean that child cap that comes with it???? UMMMM that won't work.. Still there has got to be somebody out there that cut's recepts into the SIDE of cabnets that knows of a box?? The blue carlon box someone stated earlier, how do you cut that in and mount it????Those are just a square box with no flanges.....To the person who said use MC cable,,,what the heck would that help???? Rather I use NM or MC it's still 12-2 and has to go into a BOX....:-?

raider1

Staff member
I just know they have to be stamped TR. Thanks:wink:

There is no requirement that the receptacle be stamped TR. The receptacle must be listed as tamper resistant, but that does not mean it must have a TR stamp. I know that the P&S tamper resistant receptacles don't have a TR stamped on them.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.