Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hospital Grade Smoke Detectors

Smile Hospital Grade Smoke Detectors

`
    Is there a such thing as "hospital grade" smoke detectors? I have a dental office project and they
    will be installing hospital grade conductors, raceways, grounding, receptacles, an emergency generator
    with separate circuitry and other components.

I am wondering about the smoke detectors that are proposed for
    installation, ...some in the patient care areas and some in the other non-patient care areas of the building.
    This is a Type "B" occupancy building, non-sprinkled, V-B construction, single story, approx. 4,700+ sq. ft.
    We are on the 2006 I-Codes and the 2008 NEC. Please list the applicable articles or code sections.

Thanks for any assistance!

I am curious, what kind of inspector are you?
    Instructor, Industry Advocate

=
    I have multiple ICC certs. in inspections & plans examining.

=

Are the smokes single station, like in a home or connected to a FACP?

There are not hospital grade smokes that is part of a Fire alarm system, the UL listed compatible smokes for the panel are all that is available.

There are different type of smoke detectors, but not different grades.

Quote Originally Posted by north star View Post
    =
    I have multiple ICC certs. in inspections & plans examining.

=

Your question is an unusual electrical question. ICC certs are of all trade concerns. I was wondering if you are an electrical inspector or a building inspector.

I understand that some inspectors are dual inspectors, performing all trade inspections.
    Instructor, Industry Advocate

What are hospital grade conductors? Are the specs asking for the hospital grade stuff?

I don't think there is any such thing as hospital grade smoke detectors.

Do you have concerns that the installed system isn't adequate?

Steve

`

Pierre,

I am ICC certified in all the res. & most comm. disciplines and as a plans examiner [ not yet an Elect. Plans Examiner though ! ].

nhfire77,

The smoke detectors are the single station type, not connected to any FACP or alarm system.

steve66,

My concern is that the plans submitted on this project did not have any "hospital grade" components listed on them. Both of the DP's ( the ar-kee-tekt & the electrical engineer ) missed Art. 517, 250.118 & others in the `08 NEC.

They will be submitting revised plans to have the "hospital grade" systems, components & materials shown on the plans ( i.e. - the "hospital grade" conductors, raceways, receptacles, junction boxes, lighting fixtures, switches, etc. ). My question / concerns are that I am trying to verify if there is such an animal as "hosptal grade" type of smoke detectors. As usual, the DP's are designing to the bare minimum to satisfy the customer' budget, NOT the code requirements! :mad:

In referring to Art. 517.13(A), since the branch circuit is required to be "hospital grade" [ i.e. - redundantaly grounded ], wouldn't the "utilization equipment" attached to those circuits also be required to be "hospital grade", similar to the snap switches or receptacles installed within the patient care & patient examining areas ?

Thanks ya'll for your input and assistance.

`

Where does 517 say you need hospital grade receptacles in a dental office?

Quote Originally Posted by Microwatt View Post
    Where does 517 say you need hospital grade receptacles in a dental office?
    It doesn't and they aren't required in dental offices unless there is a critical care area with a procedure table in it.

Roger