Keep old panel as j-box...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I am interested in hearing how many of you, when you get the chance, keep the old panel as a j-box when doing Service and or Panel changes.

See attached.

220/221

Damn that's a lot o fuses.

If it makes sense, I use the old panel as a JB.

I certainly wouldn't remove that box and install a regular JB.

If the circuits come into that panel, I'd put the new on in it's place.

masterinbama

I do know one thing.

If you allow my helper to get a hold of a bender, and produce a piece of conduit like the one in the second picture.

We might have issues.. one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made was showing him the bender, and not teaching him.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I do know one thing.

If you allow my helper to get a hold of a bender, and produce a piece of conduit like the one in the second picture.

We might have issues.. one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made was showing him the bender, and not teaching him.
Well, he did have a few LB's to dodge. ;)

SEO

Sometimes it can save a lot of money. When we do it we rivit the door shut so that you have to remove the screws to access.

Mule

We do it on occassion, on older homes. take the guts out and screw down the fuse cover lid, and use it for a Jbox. Probably not listed for the purpose:):rolleyes:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
it's done fairly often here. There was a thread once where some inspectors would not accept the practice as it was not a listed j-box.
There wasn't much support for that approach, but you might keep it in mind.

highendtron

Hard to believe that most customers would not gripe if the ec did not clean up some of the mess when upgrading a service...I would not want my companies name and reputation on this mess unless I could leave it better than I found it. If adding a junction box made it look like a professional worked on it, instead of just an apprentice or farmer...add the junction box!

fondini

Damn that's a lot o fuses.

If it makes sense, I use the old panel as a JB.

I certainly wouldn't remove that box and install a regular JB.

If the circuits come into that panel, I'd put the new on in it's place.

lmao idont know if i could do that if i tried!...oops wrong quote, the bender quote!

Last edited:

okeefe

I've used the old box as a junction box a few times. I remove the orginal cover and guts and throw them out. I will purchase a piece of sheet metal from a fab shop and they cut it to size, and I spray paint it gray for a cleaner job.

daleuger

I do know one thing.

I agree that would be jerked down and slung so fast....

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I would probably be cleaner just to replace the old box with a new one.
Less splicing. Is this knob and Tube?

R Bob

Doesn't look like there is enough room to install a new pnl and keep the old ones as JBs.

When I relocate a pnl, I frequently use the existing pnl as a JB and extend the ckts to the new pnl.

Occupation
Inspector
Damn that's a lot o fuses. ... I'd put the new on in it's place.

The long panel is only 16 circuits, they have fuses on the neutral side as well. There are a total of 5 panels with two disconnects.

I would be replacing the main disconnect, 200 amp upper right of photo #2. A 40 circuit MB panel surface mounted and then use the existing conduit to the 16 circuit panel for the new feeds for the existing circuits.

Remove all of the sub-panels possible.

Mule

Hard to believe that most customers would not gripe if the ec did not clean up some of the mess when upgrading a service...I would not want my companies name and reputation on this mess unless I could leave it better than I found it. If adding a junction box made it look like a professional worked on it, instead of just an apprentice or farmer...add the junction box!

So you remove the old enclosure, possibly damaging old brittle wiring. Or you will leave the customer with sheetrock or even lath and plaster repairs? Where do you find a J box that's fits perfectly between stud spaces? Where do you stop? I think its the best value to utilize the existing enclosure, which I assure you is thicker metal than any new J box will be. and is already painted to match the wall....Most of the ones we replace dont have more than 4 or 6 circuits. 240v circuits that have been added over the years are on the outside. And besides alot of my customers are farmers anyway!!!!:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.