IR INFORMATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo123

Trying to get a handle on IR work on electrical systems . Is this considered electrical work or is being trained to do IR testing enough to be qualified to perform such work. ? I believe if the person is trained to do IR testing that is all that would be needed test electrical systems. Does anyone have anything else to add here.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
OSHA require that they be trained in the hazards of the equipment they are interacting with and the precautions required, as well as the limits on what they can do. In other words "qualified".
The actual IR testing, within those limits, does not seem to me to require general electrical training or experience.
But that is just my understanding.

BTW, just to avoid misunderstanding, are you using IR to mean passive thermal imaging or insulation resistance testing or something else?
If you mean insulation resistance testing which requires disconnecting and reconnecting wires, then the bar is higher IMHO.

Last edited:

jimbo123

Gold, the work is about thermal testing, hot spots and such . Thanks for your response just wanted to be sure .

69gp

Trying to get a handle on IR work on electrical systems . Is this considered electrical work or is being trained to do IR testing enough to be qualified to perform such work. ? I believe if the person is trained to do IR testing that is all that would be needed test electrical systems. Does anyone have anything else to add here.

It all depends on what you are going to be taking images of. First if you want to be IR certified its going to cost you 4 to 6 thousand dollars to be properly trained to a level 3. If you are just opening a panel door and shooting the breakers then you would not need any electrical training. But as soon as you remove a cover then you will need at least here in MA have a licensee. If you have an electrical control panel with clear plastic over the items you want to check you will need to remove the cover or you will not get a reading. Next once your into a cabinet switch gear or other piece of equipment that is live your going to need to be NFPA 70 trained for arc flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.