Big Bump on the back of Square D panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mule

What's with the big bump Im seeing on the back of Sq D panels. Right now I cant remember if its QO or HOM but, the panel wont set down on a flat surface. I've been drilling a 3/4" O.D. relief in the wall so it will set down, and look decent......any one have a reason? It's got me stump'd

By the way, just got informed yesterday, that I finally recieved special pricing from Square D....YAHOO!!

What's with the big bump Im seeing on the back of Sq D panels. Right now I cant remember if its QO or HOM but, the panel wont set down on a flat surface. I've been drilling a 3/4" O.D. relief in the wall so it will set down, and look decent......any one have a reason? It's got me stump'd

Are you using a flush mount panel for surface mounting purposes?

Mule

Are you using a flush mount panel for surface mounting purposes?

Nope, and they are HomeLine panels.When you set it in the wall, it sticks out too far, So I drilled a relief hole in the exterior siding, being carefull to not going through, then it sticks out just right for 1/2" sheetrock...........this bump is in the sheetmetal behind the neutral buss...can't figure it out..

walkerj

The only thing I can think of, as others, is the hole for the bonding screw.

Could it be a factory defect in a group of panels you bought?

Got a picture?

kwired

Electron manager
I have come across this also on QO panels it is not for the bonding screw that is in a different location and does not stick out any farther than they have in the past. this is just a bump in the back of the box that sticks out about 1/2 inch and makes the panel difficult to mount on a flat surface. It is not a panel designed to be mounted flush as others suggested - the QO panels have flush or surface cover that is purchased separately.

I also would like to know what this seemingly useless bump is there for.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I think that bump is to space the box off a Manonry or concrete wall for protection from moisture. :confused:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
By the way, just got informed yesterday, that I finally recieved special pricing from Square D....YAHOO!!
Yeah, we fought for that for some time - only to find out is was for breakers and panels only, nothing else. I'm fed up with Square D and their stupid system, until I hear a rumor they've changed their "SPA" system they're not getting a nickel from me. :rolleyes:

Mule

Yeah, we fought for that for some time - only to find out is was for breakers and panels only, nothing else. I'm fed up with Square D and their stupid system, until I hear a rumor they've changed their "SPA" system they're not getting a nickel from me. :rolleyes:

I have to agree with you, I've seen other prices they sell to others and it makes me sick.... however its a better product for my customer over a BR IMO.......So reluctantly I stay with them...:rolleyes:

Riograndeelectric

I used to have Square D SPA . only to find out that you had to continually purchasing Square D on a regular basis like load centers breakers etc if not then they would drop you from there SPA pricing.

I really like Square D over any thing else however I will not deal with Square D where I have to be approved for SPA. Square D could just sell there product over the counter like the other Manufacturers

maloo

If anyone is still interested these are pictures of the bump on the back of SD QO panel. I emailed SQ but I really don't expect an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.