Bonding alluminium siding

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is this accomplished. I have a HI who has nothing better to do than to make us do this...how is the best way to do it. Do i have to bond every stirp? or one place on the house?
He has no answers on how to do it he just wants it done. Typical

Buck Parrish

How is this accomplished. I have a HI who has nothing better to do than to make us do this...how is the best way to do it. Do i have to bond every stirp? or one place on the house?
He has no answers on how to do it he just wants it done. Typical

Are their any metal weather proof boxes on the siding. If so the siding is bonded.

He says it is a code requirement and techinically it is, but not widely accepted because of labor involved...the say that if a light is attatched to house and it shorts to siding that if someone touched it, and was grounded in the rain or whatever, would get shocked...once in a million if ya ask me but...he wont drop it

not for sure about the metal boxes...didnt pay that close attention, will definatly look tomarow

Last edited:

romeo

bonding aluminum siding

bonding aluminum siding

I didn't know aluminum siding was still being used,but if it is bonding makes sense to me.If it is not necessary then why is bonding Mobile homes and office trailers required???

iwire

Staff member
I didn't know aluminum siding was still being used,but if it is bonding makes sense to me.If it is not necessary then why is bonding Mobile homes and office trailers required???

So lets say you decide to, how would you go about it?

Short of nut and bolting a lug on every section of siding it will never be bonded.

IMO as long as the things that are likley to energize it (meter socket, outdoor receptacles etc.) are bonded properly there is no need to do more.

brian john

35 years ago an inspector had a study that showed grounding AL siding was USLESS unless you do as Bob says and connect to every piece. Besides the finish there is oxidation that would inhibit a single point ground connection. Tell the HI is is a horses putuit.

Better yet send him here.

srisser

In our jurisdiction, our plans examiners and electrical inspectors require that metal and aluminum siding is bonded referencing NEC 250.104C if the siding is installed as a structural member and the structure is provided with electrical service.

Typically, this bond is achieved with an appropriately sized bonding conductor and a grounding lug. One additional item to consider....some siding manufacturer's have specific requirements for the installation of the lugs or methods of bonding. If you don't comply with their instructions, it may void a siding warranty.

iwire

Staff member
some siding manufacturer's have specific requirements for the installation of the lugs or methods of bonding. If you don't comply with their instructions, it may void a siding warranty.

Can you link to it or provide a name?

And are the connections between sections of siding UL listed as a bonding connection as the NEC requires?

srisser

All I could readily find in the files was a warranty for a siding that read "This Warranty shall not apply to Products which have been painted or whose surface has been altered in any way without written authorization from Quality Aluminum Products." A clean surface is required by NEC 250.12 which requires the removal of paint. Removal of the paint in a manner not approved by the siding manufacturer will typically void your finish warranty on the siding.

As far as bonding connection between panels being UL listed.....each panel had it's own bond lug according to the inspector. A bit tedious as that was the method presented by the design professional and as inspected in the field, but compliant in our interpretation.

As far as UL listings of the connections, when structural metal is bonded (per NEC 250.104C in say a pre-engineered metal building, do you require that every metal structural member is provided with a bonding conductor or jumper? Or do you rely on the bolted connection between members?

brian john

In our jurisdiction, our plans examiners and electrical inspectors require that metal and aluminum siding is bonded referencing NEC 250.104C if the siding is installed as a structural member and the structure is provided with electrical service.

Typically, this bond is achieved with an appropriately sized bonding conductor and a grounding lug. One additional item to consider....some siding manufacturer's have specific requirements for the installation of the lugs or methods of bonding. If you don't comply with their instructions, it may void a siding warranty.

Then you are weeing weeing on a forest fire, makes someone feel good but doing nothing.

Rick Christopherson

That's correct, but in residential construction, the siding is not "a metal building frame" and is therefore not structural. It's a decorative/protective facade.
I have a HI who has nothing better to do than to make us do this...
The thing that I want to know is, since when does a home inspector have the authority to mandate anything?

iwire

Staff member
The thing that I want to know is, since when does a home inspector have the authority to mandate anything?

There is at least one state where they actually do have some enforcement power. (They report certain findings to the AHJ and the house can not be sold until it is fixed to local requirements.)

But in general no they have no more power than the seller allows.

Status
Not open for further replies.