NFPA 99 definitions abbreviations

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Something tells me this is going to be obvious after someone explains it, but there are abbreviations after each definition in NFPA 99. They say (PIP) or (HYP) or (FUN), or (MED). What the heck do these mean??

By the way, our company subscribes to these codes through a 3 party online service. So I guess its possible its something unique to their online service, and the abbreviations wouldn't show up in the printed version??

Examples:

3.3.1? ACFM. Actual cubic feet per minute. (PIP)
3.3.2? Adiabatic Heating. The heating of a gas caused by its compression. (HYP)
3.3.3? Aerosol. An intimate mixture of a liquid or a solid in a gas; the liquid or solid, called the dispersed phase, is uniformly distributed in a finely divided state throughout the gas, which is the continuous phase or dispersing medium. (MED)
3.3.4? Alarm System. 3.3.4.1? Area Alarm System. A warning system within an area of use that provides continuous visible and audible surveillance of Category 1 and Category 2 medical gas and vacuum systems. (PIP)
3.3.4.2? Category 3 Alarm System. A warning system within an area of use that provides continuous visible and audible surveillance of Category 3 medical gas systems. (PIP)
3.3.4.3? Local Alarm System. A warning system that provides continuous visible and audible surveillance of medical gas and vacuum system source equipment at the equipment site. (PIP)
3.3.4.4? Master Alarm System. A warning system that monitors the operation and condition of the source of supply, the reserve source (if any), and the pressure in the main lines of each medical gas and vacuum piping system. (PIP)

3.3.5? Alternate Power Source. One or more generator sets, or battery systems where permitted, intended to provide power during the interruption of the normal electrical service; or the public utility electrical service intended to provide power during interruption of service normally provided by the generating facilities on the premises. (ELS)
3.3.6? Ambulatory Health Care Center. A building or portion thereof used to provide services or treatment simultaneously to four or more patients that (1) provides, on an outpatient basis, treatment for patients that renders the patients incapable of taking action for self-preservation under emergency conditions without the assistance of others; or (2) provides, on an outpatient basis, anesthesia that renders the patients incapable of taking action for self-preservation under emergency conditions without the assistance of others. (FUN)

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think your answer can be found in the "About NFPA 99" section of the standard. It includes the names of the members of the "Technical Correlating Committee" that developed each of the various sections. Examples:
  • Technical Correlating Committee on Electrical Systems (HEA-ELS)
  • Technical Committee on Fundamentals (HEA-FUN)
  • Technical Committee on Hyperbaric and Hypobaric Facilities (HEA-HYP)
  • Technical Committee on Medical Equipment (HEA-MED)
  • Technical Committee on Piping Systems (HEA-PIP)

I could not find anything that explained what "HEA" meant. But within the definitions, I infer that the initials to which you refer are telling us which committee was responsible for the definition.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I think Mr. Peterson was pulling your leg in the style of the Marx Brothers movie, "A Day at the Races." If you are familiar with that movie, I refer to the ice cream salesman.

I'm not familiar with the movie, but now I realize Mr. Peterson's comment went right over my head :) The forum should really have an emoticon for that- I'm thinking something like Jeff Dunham's puppet Peanut when he says "zoom!".

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I'm not familiar with the movie, but now I realize Mr. Peterson's comment went right over my head :) The forum should really have an emoticon for that- I'm thinking something like Jeff Dunham's puppet Peanut when he says "zoom!".
My personal recommendation is to use the MS Comic Sans font, but that is hard to do with Tapatalk....

Status
Not open for further replies.