Residential or Commercial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I have an existing building that houses a trucking company downstairs and an apartment upstairs. The apartment is being renovated but will remain as a dwelling. There is already NM-B run everywhere but as the renovating electrician, I'm wondering how such a structure would be classified? FWIW...I would say based on Annex E, this is Type III construction.

mcclary's electrical

If it's all one owner than it's considered commercial space, but the residential space upstais will still be wired the same as a single family dwelling. I did three just like this last year. Some differences are they made me put exit/egress lights on the stairs coming down. And in two of the applications they made me put a smoke detector in the commercial space below,, interconnected with the apartment above. Don't use the resindential chart for feeder calc. Down stairs will be wired however they want it. smoke detector at the bottom of stairs also.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I my neck of the woods if there is going to be some potential servicing of Vehicles then they treat as such. Regardless what title you place on the plans. Some get away with it sometimes best not to challenge it.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
This job is in a small town with no local AHJ. I guess I could get ahold of the State Inspector and run this by him. I'm just wondering how other area's handle these multi use structures.

Status
Not open for further replies.