Votes: 3 2.8%
  • I would use a bushing anyway

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I always install it this way

Votes: 14 13.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a standard fitting used in the industry where SE cable is installed.

My question is, does the fitting as seen in the picture require a bushing to protect the cable from abrasion?

july12008008.jpg

gary

Occupation
Retired electrical contractor / general contractor
As long as the sheath of the SER protrudes through the connector as shown, I don't see any need for a bushing.

SEO

In that picture I would say that a fitting is not required. Section 300.4 (G) states that a fitting is required if the conductors are not separated from the fitting or raceway by substantial insulating material that is securely fastened in place. IMO the outer sheathing of the cable is substantial insulating material and is securely fastened in place.

In that picture I would say that a fitting is not required. Section 300.4 (G) states that a fitting is required if the conductors are not separated from the fitting or raceway by substantial insulating material that is securely fastened in place. IMO the outer sheathing of the cable is substantial insulating material and is securely fastened in place.

300.4(G) is a requirement for raceways, this is an SE cable.

SEO

300.4(G) is a requirement for raceways, this is an SE cable.

I agree that the SE cable is not referred to in this section I was using it as a guideline. It's a section that mentions an insulated fitting for #4AWG or larger. When I look at the picture the SE cable is larger than #4AWG I thought that was what you were looking for. If not the picture could have been a 14-2 nm cable entering a cable conn and the same question could have been asked.

I agree that the SE cable is not referred to in this section I was using it as a guideline. It's a section that mentions an insulated fitting for #4AWG or larger. When I look at the picture the SE cable is larger than #4AWG I thought that was what you were looking for. If not the picture could have been a 14-2 nm cable entering a cable conn and the same question could have been asked.

I agree with this statement.

I agree with this statement.

I do not disagree that one could try to use this for guidance, but the section specifically mentions Raceways.

whillis

I'd use the quality of workmanship rule here. In your picture it looks to me like the edge of the throat has been smoothed and is unlikely to damage the conductors or sheath so I say no bushing required. Had the throat been rough then good workmanship would dictate a bushing.

Bill Annett

Occupation
Retired ( 2020 ) City Electrical inspector
I voted that it does not but only because I thought that it was a Romex type connector which would have a clamp to hold the cable. If it is not a Romex type connector then my answer may be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.