In wall ironing board in laundry room

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

Should I run a separate circuit for it, or just tap of the washing machine circuit? Thank you.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I don't think you can use the laundry circuit.
Don't have my book at home. Seems like you have to have a dedicated laundry outlet.
Can't give you a quote though....

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It isn't a "washing machine circuit." It's a "laundry circuit." To my way of thinking, the process of "ironing" is a laundry task. So you could share the circuit, without violating the "no other outlets" rule. But I wouldn't. Both of these components draw a large current. I don't know if this would violate the rule about loading plug and cord equipment on branch circuits (I don't have the code book handy, and I don't recall the rule number). But there is a good chance of tripping the breaker, if both washing and ironing were taking place at the same time.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would agree with Charlie- bad idea. I always put the built in iron on it's own circuit. Think of it like this-- one iron 1200 watts and then there is usually a light in the unit also. Then add a 12 amp washer. -- a guess.

You probably would not blow the OCPD since the iron is cycling on and off but why do it-- avoid the problem.

ceb58

Should I run a separate circuit for it, or just tap of the washing machine circuit? Thank you.

Just remember its a add on $$. I agree it is a bad idea to put it on the laundry circ. but, and it is by code min., not requried to be a separate circ. as long as it stays in the laundry area.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I think he's considering the washing machine as fastened-in-place. That could be debated, as do the water hoses constitute "fastening"? But if it is, and it draws more than 10 amps, then you can't have a general use laundry receptacle on the same circuit.

hillbilly

I think he's considering the washing machine as fastened-in-place. That could be debated, as do the water hoses constitute "fastening"? But if it is, and it draws more than 10 amps, then you can't have a general use laundry receptacle on the same circuit.

I had the same thoughts too.

I would consider the washing machine as "fastened in place".
It's not like you're going to move it somewhere else in the house and use it.

steve

jamesoftn

If it was a fastened in place appliance then the laundry circuit would need to be dedicated for the washer. The code does not say dedicated for a washer only, it does say dedicated to the laundry room. It is allowed unless the manufacture instructions indicate a dedicated circuit.

I would say the ironing board is part of the laundry, and can be installed on the laundry circuit as per 210.11(C)(2).

I also believe that 210.23 comes into play.

Fastened in place - shall not exceed 50%
Plug and cord connected - shall not exceed 80%

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I always question the logic of putting a gas dryer receptacle on the same circuit as the washing machine. I know it's legal but that 120v gas dryer motor has to pull a few amps by itself. Combine that with the washer and you could be very close to, if not above that 80%.

electricmanscott

I always question the logic of putting a gas dryer receptacle on the same circuit as the washing machine. I know it's legal but that 120v gas dryer motor has to pull a few amps by itself. Combine that with the washer and you could be very close to, if not above that 80%.

I understand what you are saying but since what you mention is pretty standard operating procedure for who knows how many installations I don't think it is a real issue.

FWIW I seem to remember 10 amps as being the max draw on most washing machines. Can't imagine a gas dryer is going to draw anything close to 6 amps.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Around here there are many more electric dryers than gas so when a customer asks for a gas dryer I still run 10/3 wg NM. I always tell the owners and they are very happy to have that option.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Interesting. Do you have gas?

My wife says I do...:grin:. Lots of areas only have propane and gas dryers were hardly seen when I first moved here 30 years ago. As more northerners move down we see more of it. Same was true with stoves. Today it is much more common to see gas stoves even with LP.

Status
Not open for further replies.