Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I always install it this way

Votes: 14 13.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
First I am a conduit guy and I don't like cables:grin:.

That can be curred with therapy. :grin:

Second I see no real difference between a EMT connector or a cable connector as far as the protection of the conductors within the enclosure.

IMO the sheath is a real difference as far as the protection of the conductors from the fitting.

If the EMT connector requires a bushing, the cable connector also requires a bushing.

And if MC cable does not require a anti-short then nothing should require a bushing. :smile:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That can be curred with therapy. :grin:
I hope not:grin:

IMO the sheath is a real difference as far as the protection of the conductors from the fitting.
Very true, but is there a requirement that the sheath extend beyond the end of the connector?

And if MC cable does not require a anti-short then nothing should require a bushing. :smile:
The anti-short does not serve the same function as a bushing would. The anti-short is to protect the conductor from damage that could be caused by the metal sheath of the cable. The bushing would be to protect the conductors from damage from the lip of the cable connector. As I said before, I don't seen any real difference between the rounding used on the inside end of an EMT connector as compared to that used on the inside end of a cable connector. If there is a possibility of damage to the conductors from the EMT connector, then there is that same possibility for the cable connector, assuming that the sheath has not been extended beyond the end of the connector. This does not happen when you are using AC or MC cable and those conductors need protection from the end of the cable connector.

M. D.

Very true, but is there a requirement that the sheath extend beyond the end of the connector?
Article number ??

I would also like to state that the installation of the wiring methods are very different and that with conduit the bushing does most of,. if not all of it's protecting during the pull .. I know they are often put on after ,.. it makes inspectors happy to see them :)

I would also like to state that the installation of the wiring methods are very different and that with conduit the bushing does most of,. if not all of it's protecting during the pull .. I know they are often put on after ,.. it makes inspectors happy to see them :)

Also, in squeeze connectors, the wiring method is secured by the squeeze connector.
Whereas the conduit type connector, there is no securing of the conductors, and the conductors will be up against the lip of a connector which may cause damage over time, especially in larger size conductors.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sorry to jump into this thread so late but I was always under the impression that as long as a cable or conduit fitting end had a "smoothly rounded edge" that no bushing was needed. On the other hand, if you were using threaded rigid metallic conduit where the threaded end of the conduit served as the entry to the cabinet then you would need a bushing (irrespective of the wire being used inside). By the same token, if you were using rigid metallic conduit and used a compression fitting on the unthreaded end to enter a cabinet you would not need to use a bushing.

Now here's one for the books - at a certain supply house that I buy from and when I order service upgrade material, if I'm doing the service in PVC they inadvertently supply bushings with the PVC term adapters. I haven't been able to figure out the logic in that yet.:-?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
would not need to use a bushing.

Now here's one for the books - at a certain supply house that I buy from and when I order service upgrade material, if I'm doing the service in PVC they inadvertently supply bushings with the PVC term adapters. I haven't been able to figure out the logic in that yet.:-?

some contend that 352.46 make the bushing mandatory

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Does the above post mean that you do not agree?

actually I got off on a tangent with goldstar's post regarding PVC.
After all these years I don't know that my thoughts are valid. I can't take my viewpoint out of the equation as I should. To me, 352.46, especially with the FPN, means that PVC male adapters need bushings on #4 and larger but my opinion may be biased. I've not seen any adapter that provides "equivalent protection to a bushing".
I don't see the same Code requirement for cables (not to say it's not there). 300.4 states raceways not cables. So, odd as it may be, I require bushings on raceways with #4 and larger (including PVC) but not on cables.

actually I got off on a tangent with goldstar's post regarding PVC.
After all these years I don't know that my thoughts are valid. I can't take my viewpoint out of the equation as I should. To me, 352.46, especially with the FPN, means that PVC male adapters need bushings on #4 and larger but my opinion may be biased. I've not seen any adapter that provides "equivalent protection to a bushing".
I don't see the same Code requirement for cables (not to say it's not there). 300.4 states raceways not cables. So, odd as it may be, I require bushings on raceways with #4 and larger (including PVC) but not on cables.

As I read the section, PVC fittings require a bushing.

Do you still think this article applies??

Are you asking this in regards to the fact this section refers to plastic boxes?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
augie47 said:
So, odd as it may be, I require bushings on raceways with #4 and larger (including PVC) but not on cables.
Please tell me you're kidding:-?

Stop and think about the logic of this. I know the CMP's think long and hard about the codes and why they write them in the way that they do. But if you really stop and think about it, in order for any wiring to hit the side of a panel through a PVC fitting while being pulled through the conduit body it would have to burn completely through the threaded end. Would a bushing afford you that much more insulation ? I've burned through bushings numerous times on simple pulls. I don't believe you are correct.. Just my 2 cents worth.

Phil

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
If I only enforced what I thought was correct, I would not need a Code book. You guys and the CMPs write the thing, the State adopts it, and I do my best to enforce it as written. Like Pierre says, Code says bushing, Gus requires bushing. It's difficult enough without my bringing my opinions into the enforcement.

K2500

So for just the cable no bushing is required, but if you pull the same cable into a raceway and use an identicly beveled connector, then a bushing is required?:roll:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I think Pierre's comment in post 45 did a good job of identifying a major difference in a cable connector and a conduit fitting and thus the requirement for a bushing..

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
augie47 said:
Like Pierre says, Code says bushing, Gus requires bushing. It's difficult enough without my bringing my opinions into the enforcement.
As you begin reading through Article 352 - 352.10 (A) thru (H), 352.12 and 12(E), 352.20 (A) & (B), 352.30 (A) thru (C) and 352.44 all make specific references to PVC conduit. When you finally get to 352.46 there is no reference to PVC conduit - 352.46 Bushings - Where a conduit enters a box, fitting, or other enclosure, a bushing or adapter shall be provided to protect the wire from abrasion unless the box, fitting, or enclosure design provides equivalent protection. Doesn't a PVC terminal adapter (a.k.a. fitting) provide equivalent protection to a plastic bushing ?

Although Article 352 deals with PVC conduit it appears the CMP went through the trouble of painstakingly highlighting the term PVC Conduit in all the specific code sections leading up to and including section 352.44 but somehow failed to mention it in section 352.46. Could it have been a typo, an inadvertent omission, or just plain logic ?

Just an observation;)

Status
Not open for further replies.