Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Myers Hub for Outdoor Panel

Myers Hub for Outdoor Panel

Do I have to install Myers Hubs at service panel for feeder cks? It's an outdoor panel, and I thought compression connectors with silicone would work.

Where will the feeder conduit enter the service?

Take a look at 312.2

I thought compression connectors with silicone would work.
    I would not use rain tight compressions connectors with just silicone. Use a sealing lock ring to connect the RT compression connector.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by euclid43 View Post
    Do I have to install Myers Hubs at service panel for feeder cks? It's an outdoor panel, and I thought compression connectors with silicone would work.
    You here this all the time. Would this work? It may very well work but is it an approved method.

approved: acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction.
    "A sight for sore eyes to the blind would be awful magestic"---Wax Fang

I think the question asked is if a Raintight connector with a Sealing washer/ring is code complaint to install a raceway entering in th top of a panel
    Or do you need to use a myers type hub?

Quote Originally Posted by euclid43 View Post
    I thought compression connectors with silicone would work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    I think the question asked is if a Raintight connector with a Sealing washer/ring is code complaint to install a raceway entering in th top of a panel
    Or do you need to use a myers type hub?
    I would think that the newer compression connectors with sealing washers would be code compliant, they are listed for "wet" locations.

However not all compression connectors are raintight. Even some of the one's that people thought were raintight.

If you have one of the new rain tight connectors then you wouldn't need silicone. It will be marked "raintight" and have the washer/sealing ring/ thingy.
    "A sight for sore eyes to the blind would be awful magestic"---Wax Fang

Where is the conduit entering? If it's below the live parts a standard locknut/connector would be complaint.
    Rob

Chief Moderator

All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Where is the conduit entering? If it's below the live parts a standard locknut/connector would be complaint.
    I agree, thats why I mentioned that the OPer should read 312.2.

Chris

Sealing locknuts are only good for threaded conduit, not fittings.
    Myers hubs are cheap and work just fine. If you are entering below the panel guts, just a regular compression connector rated for outdoor use will work.

Quote Originally Posted by jrannis View Post
    Sealing locknuts are only good for threaded conduit, not fittings.
    Myers hubs are cheap and work just fine. If you are entering below the panel guts, just a regular compression connector rated for outdoor use will work.
    At the UL website there is a question and answer section that covers different listing issues. One article was about the use of Myers hubs and emt. The UL position was that emt in a Myers hub is against the listing. The reference is UL Question Corner, May 14, 2006.
    85deg. an Sunny today.

Quote Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
    At the UL website there is a question and answer section that covers different listing issues. One article was about the use of Myers hubs and emt. The UL position was that emt in a Myers hub is against the listing. The reference is UL Question Corner, May 14, 2006.
    I used to use myers hubs with emt fittings, then they came up with the fittings that are supposed to be raintight with the rubber washer included.

I stopped using the myers hubs because the rubber washer should seal the opening in the enclosure.

recently went back to a job done one year ago to do some additional work and saw that many of the rubber washers were deteriorated enough that I questioned wether they were sealing the opening anymore. Now I plan to use myers hubs again and don't care if they are not listed. The testing labs can not tell me that the original install did not seal.

When they first came out with the "raintight" fittings I thought they were a joke. Sure the extra nylon ferrules in the fitting probably will keep out more water. But I don't believe are necessary unless you are talking about high pressure water maybe.

A metal raceway installed outdoors gets more water inside from condensation then it will ever get from rain. I may even be willing to bet that a set screw fitting (if it is a pretty tight fitting one) will hold out more rain than what condenses within the raceway.