Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Mouse chewing wires

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    17

    Mouse chewing wires

    I have a house where the mice have chewed some of the wires. Does anyone know of a way to check the individual circuits to assess the damage. I would think AFCI's would pick up arching but this house was wired pre-AFCI and most of the circuits are fed with 12/3 off of 2 pole breakers. Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    I have a house where the mice have chewed some of the wires. Does anyone know of a way to check the individual circuits to assess the damage. I would think AFCI's would pick up arching but this house was wired pre-AFCI and most of the circuits are fed with 12/3 off of 2 pole breakers. Thanks
    1. Disconnect all loads and Xfrms and check continuity EGC to both grounded and ungrounded conductors and between grounded and ungrounded.

    2. Megger it.
    Karl J This is only the beginning of the real story. These adventures here are only the cover and the title page... C.S. Lewis in The Last Battle

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NC & IN
    Posts
    3,028
    What Carl said. I'll add FWIW. After you have made your repairs, replace wires m etc... Paint some liquid tape in that location. It's to sticky and smells bad. Mice won't tuch it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    8

    Exclamation Mice & Electricity

    It just so happens that one of my buddies called me a couple weeks ago when it was kinda warm. He said his AC wasn't working. I told him that I'll come to see what is wrong. It turns up some mice did some major chewing of all the control & power wiring in the outside condenser unit. Needless to say they were well cooked with wires still in mouth. I told him to call someone who will pry their fried little corpses off & fix it. I also told him that the unit should be above ground and not under 12" of mulch. Darn Mice

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    334
    Reminded me of this although not a mouse.

    http://www.buzzfeed.com/scott/frog-eats-christmas-light

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,238

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by George B. View Post
    ... I told him to call someone who will pry their fried little corpses off & fix it. ... Darn Mice
    Sounds like I need to call PETA and have y'all straightened out. Did you post electrical warning signs in their ethnic language or were you just trying to commit mouse genecide? Remember, mice aren't people so we have an obligation to protect them. You and the HO need to set up a mouse training program to teach them about electrical hazards. It's the least you can do!
    A rose by any other name is tax deductible [1978 Wayne Wilcox]
    People who read too many books get quirky. [2000 John Taylor Gatto]

  7. #7
    I pulled this out of an attic this week. Only wire in the entire house it ate like this. I figured it was because this was a newer wire laying on top of the inulation instead of in it or under it. And we all know how this newer wire has such a nice smell to it.


    Gene
    ________________________________________________

    Remember - Speed Kills and its not always you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    way north
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by pfalcon View Post
    Sounds like I need to call PETA and have y'all straightened out. ...
    That would be People for the Eating of Tasty Animals. I'm all for that. But I don't think mice fit that.

    cf

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by George B. View Post
    It just so happens that one of my buddies called me a couple weeks ago when it was kinda warm. He said his AC wasn't working. I told him that I'll come to see what is wrong. It turns up some mice did some major chewing of all the control & power wiring in the outside condenser unit. Needless to say they were well cooked with wires still in mouth. I told him to call someone who will pry their fried little corpses off & fix it. I also told him that the unit should be above ground and not under 12" of mulch. Darn Mice
    And inground A/C unit?!! Cool. I frequent this forum to learn, and that is a new one on me.
    Karl J This is only the beginning of the real story. These adventures here are only the cover and the title page... C.S. Lewis in The Last Battle

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    bay area, ca
    Posts
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by sii View Post
    Reminded me of this although not a mouse.

    http://www.buzzfeed.com/scott/frog-eats-christmas-light
    Check that off my list of things to see.... that was quite funny!

    ~Matt
    I would rather beg for forgiveness then beg for permission.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •