Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mouse chewing wires

Mouse chewing wires

I have a house where the mice have chewed some of the wires. Does anyone know of a way to check the individual circuits to assess the damage. I would think AFCI's would pick up arching but this house was wired pre-AFCI and most of the circuits are fed with 12/3 off of 2 pole breakers. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    I have a house where the mice have chewed some of the wires. Does anyone know of a way to check the individual circuits to assess the damage. I would think AFCI's would pick up arching but this house was wired pre-AFCI and most of the circuits are fed with 12/3 off of 2 pole breakers. Thanks
    1. Disconnect all loads and Xfrms and check continuity EGC to both grounded and ungrounded conductors and between grounded and ungrounded.

2. Megger it.
    Karl J This is only the beginning of the real story. These adventures here are only the cover and the title page... C.S. Lewis in The Last Battle

What Carl said. I'll add FWIW. After you have made your repairs, replace wires m etc... Paint some liquid tape in that location. It's to sticky and smells bad. Mice won't tuch it.

Exclamation Mice & Electricity

It just so happens that one of my buddies called me a couple weeks ago when it was kinda warm. He said his AC wasn't working. I told him that I'll come to see what is wrong. It turns up some mice did some major chewing of all the control & power wiring in the outside condenser unit. Needless to say they were well cooked with wires still in mouth. I told him to call someone who will pry their fried little corpses off & fix it. I also told him that the unit should be above ground and not under 12" of mulch. Darn Mice

Reminded me of this although not a mouse.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/scott/frog-eats-christmas-light

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by George B. View Post
    ... I told him to call someone who will pry their fried little corpses off & fix it. ... Darn Mice
    Sounds like I need to call PETA and have y'all straightened out. Did you post electrical warning signs in their ethnic language or were you just trying to commit mouse genecide? Remember, mice aren't people so we have an obligation to protect them. You and the HO need to set up a mouse training program to teach them about electrical hazards. It's the least you can do!
    A rose by any other name is tax deductible [1978 Wayne Wilcox]
    People who read too many books get quirky. [2000 John Taylor Gatto]

I pulled this out of an attic this week. Only wire in the entire house it ate like this. I figured it was because this was a newer wire laying on top of the inulation instead of in it or under it. And we all know how this newer wire has such a nice smell to it.

Gene

Remember - Speed Kills and its not always you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by pfalcon View Post
    Sounds like I need to call PETA and have y'all straightened out. ...
    That would be People for the Eating of Tasty Animals. I'm all for that. But I don't think mice fit that.

cf

Quote Originally Posted by George B. View Post
    It just so happens that one of my buddies called me a couple weeks ago when it was kinda warm. He said his AC wasn't working. I told him that I'll come to see what is wrong. It turns up some mice did some major chewing of all the control & power wiring in the outside condenser unit. Needless to say they were well cooked with wires still in mouth. I told him to call someone who will pry their fried little corpses off & fix it. I also told him that the unit should be above ground and not under 12" of mulch. Darn Mice
    And inground A/C unit?!! Cool. I frequent this forum to learn, and that is a new one on me.
    Karl J This is only the beginning of the real story. These adventures here are only the cover and the title page... C.S. Lewis in The Last Battle

Quote Originally Posted by sii View Post
    Reminded me of this although not a mouse.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/scott/frog-eats-christmas-light
    Check that off my list of things to see.... that was quite funny!

~Matt
    I would rather beg for forgiveness then beg for permission.