round box

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You cannot enter the side of a round box. This does not apply to an octagon box however.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
do they make any true round boxes metal? Is it talking about a box ment for romex??

Here's one:

6641104.jpg

cadpoint

... are to connected to the side of the box.

I beleive is the key part of the statement.
While they do make deeper draw octagonal boxes, I can't recall a deep drawn circle box. ...

Bobhook149

how could you come into the side anyway...... Thanks for the help. When the code said round i thought octagon.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This should be simple enough; no fittings in a curved surface, which I've never seen a factory KO in anyway.

macmikeman

They don't make a truly round anything, even ball bearings but try argueing that with AHJ :) Wp fixture boxes are more or less round and have side entry's for conduit, but it flattens out around the threaded hub area, allowing for conduit or fittings to thread in and seat tight.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
"Round" junction boxes, 1? " deep by 4" across, with trade size ?" K.O.s in the curved round surface, were available back in the early 1900s. And they really were "round" just like today's flatpan ?" high side walls are round.

This was the early period when rigid metallic conduit commonly was painted black, with a varnish inside coat, to inhibit rust, and the RMC tended to be installed, exposed, in basements, and was used in wiring installations where more money was being spent.

In my experience, these boxes had #10-24 threaded cover screw holes about half the time, and were also painted black to inhibit rust.

Even with the double locknutting commonly used to connect a stick of RMC to the round box, it was found that the questionable electrical continutity of the locknut-to-curved box wall was a source of problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.