Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mc cable with aluminum ground

mc cable with aluminum ground

There has been much dissucission at our shop about the proper termination of the ground wire. Some say cut off the aluminum ground before it enters the connector and the cable jacket is your ground path. Others suggest that you terminate the aluminum ground inside the box but we do not have copper to aluminum wire nuts to attach to the boxes pig tail.

Cut it off. Its' only function is to have intimate contact with the metal jacket. Terminating it is not required. Here's an illustrated version:

http://www.southwire.com/documents/MCAP_BrochureNEW.pdf
    Rob

Chief Moderator

All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Cut it off. Its' only function is to have intimate contact with the metal jacket. Terminating it is not required. Here's an illustrated version:

http://www.southwire.com/documents/MCAP_BrochureNEW.pdf
    At step two instead of cutting, I make a few wraps around the outside of the cable.
    Norb
    My Boss is a Tyrant and my Employee is an Idiot.

Does any one know if this is available in stranded?

At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

The OP could also be talking about AC cable and confusing the bonding wire with an EGC.

Quote Originally Posted by 1793 View Post
    At step two instead of cutting, I make a few wraps around the outside of the cable.
    I hope you are only talking about AC cable and not the MCI-A (MCap) type cable. In wrapping this larger aluminum conductor around the sheath, you could inadvertently cause damage to the sheath when the connector clamp is tightened down, or if using a snap-in product, you will cause the fitting not to meet the mechanical or electrical specifications.

In the case of the MCI-A cable, follow the manufacturer's instructions.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by LJSMITH1 View Post
    I hope you are only talking about AC cable and not the MCI-A (MCap) type cable. In wrapping this larger aluminum conductor around the sheath, you could inadvertently cause damage to the sheath when the connector clamp is tightened down, or if using a snap-in product, you will cause the fitting not to meet the mechanical or electrical specifications.

In the case of the MCI-A cable, follow the manufacturer's instructions.

I have not as of late run any MCI-A (MCap). I run into this with the older armor cables, BX. What I wrap is a very thin, flat something - I would not even call it a "wire".
    Norb

*whew*...I thought you were talking about type MC.

BX is now referred to as Type AC, and has the thin bond conductor. Wrapping that on the outside won't have any impact to the fitting or performance.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by LJSMITH1 View Post
    *whew*...I thought you were talking about type MC.

BX is now referred to as Type AC, and has the thin bond conductor. Wrapping that on the outside won't have any impact to the fitting or performance.
    Now that would be a task in itself. I have been known to do some wild things but that is not one of them.:grin:

Old habits and or terms are hard to break.
    Last edited by 1793; 09-24-09 at 12:54 PM. Reason: add final remark
    Norb