So cheap its comical

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrannis

I went to look at a residential generator project, gated community with an armed guard.
Met the prospective client, he had a million questions. Then he tells me that he had a quote from our company three years ago, written on a paper that he lost. I looked it up and found a $25,000 quote. He thought that it would be cheaper now due to the economy.
I ran the numbers and found that the job now had a cost of about $25k, a regular selling price of 38K and would have to sell it for $30 to $35k if I wanted to keep my job.
He insisted that I should ask the "owner" if he would accept $25K cash for the job.
Answer: HA HA! why would I be interested in doing that? Am I going to take the money and put it in my pocket? Risk jail time? If you find something in the warehouse that will work for the customer, we can make a deal, but I would rather not handle 25k in cash. A check would be fine.

Back to the customer,
I found something that would work, new old stock, 25k.

Customer,
No, has to be factory new.
I broke down my "cost" for the job and asked him how much he thought I should make on a job that has a cost of 25K.
He had another guy he was talking to.
The other guy will do the job for the 25k.
I told him that it was the best deal and that he should jump all over it, if he had any questions, please give ma a call.

Big mistake, I now have a new best friend.
This nut calls me every couple of weeks to check the price of Guardian Extended warranty's, prices of generators and is really beating the crap of the contractor he has on the hook.
For some reason I cant help taking these calls.
He has the poor contractor beat down to a $125 pallet of sod to replace in his front yard.
I told him that the guy was giving him the job a cost and that he should take it before there is a price increase.
He just cant seem to do it.

I think the next time he calls, I'm going to tell him that I will do the job for $24,500 and string him out for a year or two, dig up his whole yard and leave it like that just for fun.

nakulak

nah, just tell him on the next call that your company has a policy of a certain amount of time for tech support, and he has just gone over it. you will need to start billing him at $60.00/15 min for phone calls from now on unless he has a paying project he would like you to do.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Next time he calls say three little words "hold on please" and put the phone down. Don't touch it again unitl you hear the load annoying beeping sound that it makes when it's off the hook. Then hang it up. Repeat as many times as it takes for you new buddy to get the hint. :)

JohnJ0906

Next time he calls say three little words "hold on please" and put the phone down. Don't touch it again unitl you hear the load annoying beeping sound that it makes when it's off the hook. Then hang it up. Repeat as many times as it takes for you new buddy to get the hint. :)

That works very well for telemarketers as well.

nakulak

I like my idea because I would like to hear what the guy said when he got my bill (who knows, maybe he'd pay it ? ):)

(can you say visa, mastercard ?)

petey_c

jrannis, I agree with nakulak, freebie time is over. He sounds like another one of those cheapskates who's trying to get everything for free.

jrannis

I keep taking the calls because I am fascinated at hearing how he is beating this contractor up. I slip him a few bogus numbers for fun and he calls back with even more questions. Its like a reverse prank call at this point:grin:

nakulak

I keep taking the calls because I am fascinated at hearing how he is beating this contractor up. I slip him a few bogus numbers for fun and he calls back with even more questions. Its like a reverse prank call at this point:grin:

hehe that's fun

bpk

I've had customers do this kind of thing also, just maybe not to this extent. I think alot of it has to do with them being on a sort of power trip and they like to feel as if contractors are fighting over the work they have, or he's just lonely and contractors are the only people that will talk to him anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.