GFCI for a water pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmjr55

My question is about a GFCI on a water pump. We have a condition where we have a 120v plug in pump which is pumping cold water condensate that is collected from air handling units. This GFCI tripped last week causing a mess in the floors below (the pump is located in a penthouse). There are no sinks near by, this is in a commercial building. I don't believe we need to have a GFCI on this pump any thoughts on this?

benaround

My question is about a GFCI on a water pump. We have a condition where we have a 120v plug in pump which is pumping cold water condensate that is collected from air handling units. This GFCI tripped last week causing a mess in the floors below (the pump is located in a penthouse). There are no sinks near by, this is in a commercial building. I don't believe we need to have a GFCI on this pump any thoughts on this?

You could locate a condensate pump that is a hard wired type and the gfci could go away.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The GFCI protection is not required in this application. I would wonder why it tripped in the first place.

SEO

Is there a set of contacts in the pump tank that are connected to the float in the tank that you could series the control circut thru that would shut down the compressor in case of a pump failure? I agree with the others as far as the gfic.

jmjr55

The GFCI tripped because of a possible leak in the float. My intention is to keep the GFCI but we are adding an over flow to a floor drain and an over flow alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.