Marking neutrals

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are currently working on a commercial simple electric installation in Plano Texas, this morning the inspector requested that we identify/mark each neutral inside the panels. 3 Phase 120/208 WYE service, both panels have 3 pole 20 amp breakers each feeding multi branch circuits and sharing a neutral. We grouped the neutrals with each 3 pole breaker during installation... I have never seen or been asked to mark or identify neutrals inside a panel, also cannot find this requirement in the 2008 NEC code.

Has a anyone else run across this one before? I called two buddies thois morning, both have been contracting for more than 40 years and had never heard of this practice until today.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The inspector is probably thinking of 210.4(D) which requires the neutral to be grouped with it's ungrounded conductors if there is more than one MWBC in a raceway or cable.

This is not necessary or required where there is only one set of wires (one MWBC) in a raceway or cable.

(D) Grouping. The ungrounded and grounded conductors of each multiwire branch circuit shall be grouped by wire ties or similar means in at least one location within the panelboard or other point of origination.

Exception: The requirement for grouping shall not apply if the circuit enters from a cable or raceway unique to the circuit that makes the grouping obvious.

Roger

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
We are currently working on a commercial simple electric installation in Plano Texas, this morning the inspector requested that we identify/mark each neutral inside the panels. 3 Phase 120/208 WYE service, both panels have 3 pole 20 amp breakers each feeding multi branch circuits and sharing a neutral. We grouped the neutrals with each 3 pole breaker during installation... I have never seen or been asked to mark or identify neutrals inside a panel, also cannot find this requirement in the 2008 NEC code.

Has a anyone else run across this one before? I called two buddies thois morning, both have been contracting for more than 40 years and had never heard of this practice until today.

Sounds like he wants you to identify the circuits that the neutral is grouped with by wire
markers with the circuit numbers. Good idea but not enforceable.

hillbilly

What about 200.6(A) & (B)?

steve

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree that this isn't an NEC requirment. IMO individual number conductors are better than a piece of tape but if you numbered each condcutor and didn't identify them with tape or other means that would be a violation 210.4(D). This was one of my proposals for the 2011 that never got written, to allow wire numbers in lieu of the other methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.