30 volts on a circuit that is not on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdoubleU

We are working on installing a new light and noticed with the beaker off this circuit has o volts between hot and neutral. But when the circuit in on and some of the light are on in that circuit it has 30 volts between hot and neutral. If we turn off all the switches it goes back to 0. Is this from induced voltage by magnetic field in the conductor from the other light when they are turned on? How can one correct this. Every thing works fine and I don't believe it's an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

electricalist

This light is on a switch? That is on a circuit that also feeds other lights on a seperate switch? It is a _ _ _ volt circuit? when the existing lights are on and the new light is in the off position? There is 30 v from neutral to hot at the light? the switch ? the switch leg? Tested with __________ type tester?

templdl

We are working on installing a new light and noticed with the beaker off this circuit has o volts between hot and neutral. But when the circuit in on and some of the light are on in that circuit it has 30 volts between hot and neutral. If we turn off all the switches it goes back to 0. Is this from induced voltage by magnetic field in the conductor from the other light when they are turned on? How can one correct this. Every thing works fine and I don't believe it's an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Measured with a digital meter I would guess. Digital meters are high. Impedance and will measure a voltage across about anytthing.
You may want to try a simple analog meter, the one with a needle.The low impedance analog meter will drain any phanton voltage away.
Or, put a small 7w lightbulb across the circuit that you are measuring measuring the voltage and use you digital meter. The light will drain the phanon voltage away.

Status
Not open for further replies.