Working on trailers

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourteen/two

Going to a job in the next few day in a trailer. The neighbors trailer caught on fire and burned one side of this trailer.

Now I have never done any work in trailers, so I was wondering if there are any special issues that I should be aware that aren't found in regular homes.

Structial or framing issues. Ways that the factory wired the trailer that may affect my repairs.

Any info would be of help.

Thanks.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
How old is it? A lot of them do not use boxes for the devices, the device is the box. The wire lays in the back and is snapped or screwed together, the walls are usually thin also, so a standard cut-in box may not fit. If it is a double wide, there usually one or two j-boxes that tie the halves together electrically.

ceb58

Going to a job in the next few day in a trailer. The neighbors trailer caught on fire and burned one side of this trailer.

Now I have never done any work in trailers, so I was wondering if there are any special issues that I should be aware that aren't found in regular homes.

Structial or framing issues. Ways that the factory wired the trailer that may affect my repairs.

Any info would be of help.

Thanks.

Good luck. The first thing I would/have done is have the AHJ come look at what you have and ask him/her what dose he want to see done to pass inspection. The main thing to remember is when its all done megger the system to confirm that any existing wireing was not damaged due to heat and or water in putting out the fire.
Keep in mind the wireing for the trailer was done in a couple of hours so we are not talking about real quality work and material. The recpt. are one unit. They are a cut-in style box with a recpt. that has piercing clamps for the nm. Your best bet is to look over 550 2008 NEC especially 550.15. And watch out for 550.15 H.

Rewire

older trailers will usually have aluminum wire.If they use the type receptacle/box combo they are almost impossible to put back together once taken apart bring some old work boxes.

ultramegabob

I avoid working in mobile homes/trailers, they are always a pain, and if it is in a trailer park, the person may not own the trailer and dont have approval from the owner or trailer park manager to have the repairs done, when you give them a bill they say "Oh, I just live here, you need to give it to....." Make sure you have a signed contract, although its still hard to get blood out of a turnip....

Rewire

If you loss power to the back half of the trailer always look outside for the door covering the water heater their is usually an oulet in their that has corroded.

Ebow

Also look for the recepticle under the trailer facing down near the water inlet some of them have one there for pipe heaters to keep them from freezing up.

Gene

Remember - Speed kills and its not always you.

Status
Not open for further replies.