Time Vs material cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsbrush

Hey guys, lets just use EMT and sch 40 pvc. Runs from 5 foot to 100.
Lets say we are going to pull 3 # 6 and #8 EGC.

I know you can use a 3/4 conduit, but as a general rule do you guys use a larger conduit for the sake of easier pulls and saving time?

Two years ago we had a pull where we were pulling number 4's in a 1" conduit.
It about killed us physically and we lost a lot of time, so I said never again.

What do you guys do?

mcclary's electrical

Yes, I upsize for pulling ease quite often. I've seen plenty of "legal" pulls that were brutal. One size up from a legal pull usually works fine, but only if I think it's necassary, not on every pull

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I know you can use a 3/4 conduit, but as a general rule do you guys use a larger conduit for the sake of easier pulls and saving time?

What do you guys do?

"Labor is a killer," that's what the boss always tells us to keep in the back of our minds when running jobs. Have you priced the run out at 3/4" versus 1" to see if those few measly dollars are worth the potential pulling headache?:confused:

Emt and pvc are cheap, I almost always bump one size up. Customers are always adding circuits or upgrading. It doesn't make sense to pack 'em to 40% right from the beginning.

emahler

and the biggest wildcard as well....we know the cost of 100' of EMT and it's gonna be pretty constant...what we don't know is how long it's actually going to take a guy to install it...

Minuteman

Remember those story problems from math class?

It takes Freddy 7 hours to mow the yard. Billy can mow the yard in 5 hours. How long will it take Fred & Billy to mow the yard?

Now apply that to dragging three 6's and a 8 though a 3/4". Toss in a few obstacles, height, climate, conditions. Does it make a difference if it's first thing Monday or the end of the day Friday? What if you plan on it being Freddy and Billy to do the pull, but it turns out to be Freddy and Saggy Pants new guy?

hillbilly

It takes Freddy 7 hours to mow the yard. Billy can mow the yard in 5 hours. How long will it take Fred & Billy to mow the yard?

It'll take Freddy 7 hours and it'll take Billy 5 hours.:D

If they do it together, it'll take all day after planning, logistics and review are completed.:grin:

steve

cadpoint

It'll take Freddy 7 hours and it'll take Billy 5 hours.:D

If they do it together, it'll take all day after planning, logistics and review are completed.:grin:

Hopefully someone will come by before that happen but if not,
no that's when the boss gets on the job to say and state, "Come on MAN!" :D

mivey

Now apply that to dragging three 6's and a 8 though a 3/4". Toss in a few obstacles, height, climate, conditions. Does it make a difference if it's first thing Monday or the end of the day Friday? What if you plan on it being Freddy and Billy to do the pull, but it turns out to be Freddy and Saggy Pants new guy?
Freddy & Billy are licensed professional mowers so it will take 2 hrs 55 minutes. :grin:

macmikeman

Watch out for Saggy Pants, we fired him ten years ago for too much cell phone calls........

Status
Not open for further replies.