Customer theft

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Customer theft

• Stolen from under the nose of current employer at the time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stolen from former employer just as I left.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I would never do that.

Votes: 43 79.6%
  • Not telling.....

Votes: 9 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Power Tech

Any specific to California?

Bigger question - how did to get your first job as an EC???? ;) Steal a client from a one-time boss?[/QUOTE]

I am in CA and I know a contractor who stole his bosses work and he not only got fired, he got sued. He won citing the an ethical issue of taking parts out and putting them on the shelf, and then reinstalling them and charging again new on the invoice.

A contractor friend in Van Nuys, CA makes his employees sign a non competition contract. Don't know if it would be valid in court.

If you don't have a specific contract that you signed, all his clients are fair game. There is no right or wrong, only consequences. If you judge yourself a competent man. Get your license, you are right next to a testing facility. You fall off the ladder at there house or business, and then what. Have you discussed this with them? Once you do work for them (on the side). It will be almost impossible to get them later when you are buying insurance and all the other expenses related to contracting. Many questions for you to answer.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Any specific to California?

Bigger question - how did to get your first job as an EC???? ;) Steal a client from a one-time boss?

I am in CA and I know a contractor who stole his bosses work and he not only got fired, he got sued. He won citing the an ethical issue of taking parts out and putting them on the shelf, and then reinstalling them and charging again new on the invoice.

A contractor friend in Van Nuys, CA makes his employees sign a non competition contract. Don't know if it would be valid in court.

If you don't have a specific contract that you signed, all his clients are fair game. There is no right or wrong, only consequences. If you judge yourself a competent man. Get your license, you are right next to a testing facility. You fall off the ladder at there house or business, and then what. Have you discussed this with them? Once you do work for them (on the side). It will be almost impossible to get them later when you are buying insurance and all the other expenses related to contracting. Many questions for you to answer.[/quote]

I am misunderstanding the reference to the friend of yours could you re-state the situation more clear? Thanks

220/221

I did side work almost from day one, but never for my employers customers unless my employer gave me the side job, which happened on a few occaisions.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
You need to clarify yourself my friend.

I am misunderstanding the reference to the friend of yours could you re-state the situation more clear? Thanks
[/quote]
Who what where when .
your post is difficult to follow and understand.
Would you be so kind to re do your post in the proper english.
Thanks so much.

480sparky

Silly me. I thought 'ownership' of other humans in this country was settled back in 1865.

How can an EC 'own' a customer? Is the customer bound by law to always use the same EC? Is this no longer a free country, where citizens can choose who they want to do the work? Did free enterprise get voted out of existence and I didn't hear about it? If an EC can 'own' a customer, what happens when the EC goes belly up or retires.... is the customer SOL from then on out.... no more electrical work for them for the rest of their life?

If you work for an EC, then you are being paid to do the work the customer requests, and you should not be trying to 'steal' the customer. If, however, you're sitting at home watching Judge Judy and your phone rings, that's another story.

mcclary's electrical

I see what you're saying sparky,,,but How could the phone ring if you didn't "steal" the customer by giving them your number. However, if they asked for your number, I'm too polite to say no:grin:

PetrosA

My first "customer" was my own. I still work for someone else but that is changing in the near future. In fact, I'm going to be on the front line of this ethical dilemma, since my status will change to sub-contractor by mutual agreement between my present employer and myself. I suspect that a few of the GCs he works with will approach me to take over. As long as my present employer continues to throw work my way per our agreement, I will treat "his"
GCs as out-of-bounds out of respect for the guy who hired me after a really long break from electrical work. I will, however, have my own truck (with lettering) and business cards :)

e57

If you don't have a specific contract that you signed, all his clients are fair game. There is no right or wrong, only consequences.
I too have signed non-competition contracts for other employers in the past.... I'm not sure how enforceable they could be??? But as said - know of no blanket law law for it...

Silly me. I thought 'ownership' of other humans in this country was settled back in 1865.

How can an EC 'own' a customer? Is the customer bound by law to always use the same EC? Is this no longer a free country, where citizens can choose who they want to do the work? Did free enterprise get voted out of existence and I didn't hear about it? If an EC can 'own' a customer, what happens when the EC goes belly up or retires.... is the customer SOL from then on out.... no more electrical work for them for the rest of their life?

If you work for an EC, then you are being paid to do the work the customer requests, and you should not be trying to 'steal' the customer. If, however, you're sitting at home watching Judge Judy and your phone rings, that's another story.
Both mentioned ownership issues seem to be up to who you ask.... :roll: Yes and I too am all for free enterprise, not biting the hand that feeds etc.... But there are levels of desperation. Mortgage - mouths to feed - you know...

I see what you're saying sparky,,,but How could the phone ring if you didn't "steal" the customer by giving them your number. However, if they asked for your number, I'm too polite to say no:grin:
Isn't that where you say you can call me on my company phone?????

e57

Now - I'll say this... I know for a fact that every one of my last employers snaked up clients from thier previous employers, and its very funny that just about all of them would try to get me to do the same. For them it ia only about low-balling a rate for the same work. Any no I never took any of them up on it....

Now - in a fuynny bit of irony - my former employer called and is trying to try to throw me some of his unwanted bones. ('too small for me' in so many words...) Then again he knows I'll have to hit UI soon, and sees it in his interest to get me employed ASAP..... :D

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
How difficult is it to get ones phone number these days.
even easier if you have a license. you just www and wela

mxslick

I have had two clients (screening rooms) who have jumped from the guy I was contracted through to having me take care of their rooms. A third one is probably about to do the same.

I would not, and do not, solicit clients while working for someone. IF the client approaches me first and suggests that they want me to take care of them, I have them first sever ties with my "employer" before I would entertain taking care of them. I of course would also stop working fro that same employer first.

In both of the above cases I had already stopped working for that "employer".

With that said, in the case of my screening room work, I have always made it clear from the beginning that I am independent and though I will not solicit their clients, said clients may contact me AFTER I have stopped working for said "employer". In other words, I DO NOT have or will ever agree to a "No-Compete" clause.

This has worked well for all parties for the last 20+ years, your mileage may vary.

quogueelectric

I have taken clients from dodo head bosses who have neglected to pay me but other than that it seems to be the norm but I try not to do it. As I am racking up the cash I credit the stiff with 20% so I can sleep at night. What time is it??? oh yeah i cant sleep at night.

quogueelectric

On this topic I will have to say that the most sucessfull ecs are the ones who most brazenly screwed the guy they were working for as they were going solo.

norcal

If you don't have a specific contract that you signed, all his clients are fair game. There is no right or wrong, only consequences. If you judge yourself a competent man. Get your license, you are right next to a testing facility. You fall off the ladder at there house or business, and then what. Have you discussed this with them? Once you do work for them (on the side). It will be almost impossible to get them later when you are buying insurance and all the other expenses related to contracting. Many questions for you to answer.

I am misunderstanding the reference to the friend of yours could you re-state the situation more clear? Thanks[/QUOTE]

From what I have heard a non compete agreement (employment) is not enforceable in California, but one would need to see a lawyer to be sure.

brian john

I would never solicit customers from a company I was working for.

The minute you leave you are a company and soliciting customers is part of the business, all customers are fair game. Offering better service, better pricing, what ever is not stealing

What I did, was after leaving I called all my regular customers and let them know I was in business. The next step was up to them. My ex employer a company of 500 men, complained to the Union and we were brought up in front of the BA and local President, complained to vendors, complained to customers and refused to use us for several years. Oh and after we left they did not offer the services we did (IR and testing). Now they are one of my regular GOOD customers.

Last edited:

brian john

On this topic I will have to say that the most sucessfull ecs are the ones who most brazenly screwed the guy they were working for as they were going solo.

And that's the truth. One estimator at my old company was still employed by that company and was operating his new shop. He was bidding jobs in such a way as to screw the old employer by biding low for them and over-bidding on jobs he wanted for his new company.

They got stuck with several jobs that were a lose lose from the day they walked on the site.

CA Scoop

CA Scoop

You cannot CAN NOT do work of any kind that exceeds $500.00 total (mat and labor) without a contractors license in CA.

You also cannot CAN NOT advertise to do work as an Electrican without a contractors license # in the AD. for more than $500.00

So yes a journeyman is screwed to preform any good work without the umblella of a Contractor. Unless he is able to schedule multiple $500.00 jobs

Also CA will not issue licenses to (Dead Beat Dads) or divorced spoused due to income issues not being able to verify.

And the last is you are supposed to inactivate your license while being employeed by others (hourly) to further verify your income

These are state rules!!! Being abused daily

Yes a contractor is reluctant to employ another contractor without understandings>>>Liability etc

An employer stereo types a contractor to leave when work picks up!

I have tasted the ( so called ) good life>>>> I want a 40 hour job!
tired of working 70 hrs and getting paid for 30 these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.