Ohms Reading of Fluke 179

Status
Not open for further replies.

QASAS95

New User
Pretty new at this. My last post I didn't word very well and approached badly. Hope this is clearer. I am doing ground tests on Building Ground Systems using Fluke 179. I read a resistance of .3 and .5 Ohms on two ground straps. Is that reading 300,000 ohms based on the range (megohm scale) that the Fluke 179 uses? If it were Rx1, Rx100..and so on, I think I would have a better idea. Like the Simpson tester. Can anyone advise?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Probably used a 179 many times but I don't have one handy to verify.

I agree that a .3 reading on megohm scale is 300,000 ohms.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
Pretty new at this. My last post I didn't word very well and approached badly. Hope this is clearer. I am doing ground tests on Building Ground Systems using Fluke 179. I read a resistance of .3 and .5 Ohms on two ground straps. Is that reading 300,000 ohms based on the range (megohm scale) that the Fluke 179 uses? If it were Rx1, Rx100..and so on, I think I would have a better idea. Like the Simpson tester. Can anyone advise?

The Fluke 179 is a true RMS DMM. You need a Ductor or Digital Low Resistance Ohmmeter (DLRO) that measures in the micro or milli ohm (fraction of an ohm) range for ground testing.
The Megohm (millions of ohms) scale refers to insulation resistance testing.
I suggest you do some reading to educate yourself in understanding the difference between these types of testing.

dfmischler

Occupation
Facilities Manager
The 179 should show "0.3 M?" or more likely "300.0 k?" for 300,000 ohms. If it says "0.3 ?" then it means 3/10 of an ohm.

EDIT: The ohm symbol worked fine in preview, but shows as "?" when reading from the forum. Is there a way to display Greek letters on this forum?

Fluke 179 Manual

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.