setscrew couplings outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I assume setscrew type EMT couplings would not be allowed for exterior EMT. Is that correct?

I believe the couplings would have to be listed as raintight, and I can't imagine that setscrew coupling would be raintight.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You've said both outside and raintight. Outside can be a damp location, you're assuming a wet location?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
You've said both outside and raintight. Outside can be a damp location, you're assuming a wet location?

Good question. There is a small canopy, maybe as deep as 10', but its 40' in the air. So I'm going to say wet location. I also checked our project spec, and we had wet location fittings specified for both damp and wet locations.

That is correct, NO set screw fittings for rain tight applications.

See if this link helps: http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=143112

Thanks, that thread was helpful. I'm reluctant to make the EC determinate and re-terminate all the wiring to change these couplings, but I think it has to be done.

John120/240

Good question. There is a small canopy, maybe as deep as 10', but its 40' in the air. So I'm going to say wet location. I also checked our project spec, and we had wet location fittings specified for both damp and wet locations.

Thanks, that thread was helpful. I'm reluctant to make the EC determinate and re-terminate all the wiring to change these couplings, but I think it has to be done.

WHY ??? A canopy 10ft deep 40ft in the air, I can certainly imagine how rain would make it a wet location. Any electrician worth his salt should have questioned the use of set screw connectors IMHO

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
WHY ??? A canopy 10ft deep 40ft in the air, I can certainly imagine how rain would make it a wet location. Any electrician worth his salt should have questioned the use of set screw connectors IMHO

Here are the connectors:

IMAG4861a.jpg

But it is now apparently a damp location:

IMG_8506a.jpg

I knew the contractor wouldn't want to de-terminate the refrigeration rack to change the couplings, so I guess I have to give them an A for creativity.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I would imagine that if the interior of an exterior conduit is considered a wet location, then the exterior of an exterior conduit would be a wet location too.

There is inside and there is outside and just having a roof does not make it inside.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I think that's the deal breaker right there.

That's a good point - the contractor really haven't complied with the spec. But at least it meets code now.

I really don't understand why "raintight" couplings are a code requirement anyway. If it was an underground conduit, it would fill with water no matter what type of conduit or couplings are used.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
That's a good point - the contractor really haven't complied with the spec. But at least it meets code now.

I really don't understand why "raintight" couplings are a code requirement anyway. If it was an underground conduit, it would fill with water no matter what type of conduit or couplings are used.

I agree, but the job was bid for one type of fitting and that was not supplied, instead a much cheaper, potentially non-compliant one was.

Just curious, did the EC that got the job under bid someone that didn't? Maybe there are other corners that were cut but not noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.