Next silly question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
Geez folks--I think I have the Old Timers Disease:roll:---Where does it say that your Grounding System and Lightening Protection Systems can't be connected together--I believe what it states is that the Lightening System can not use any part of the Grounding System-but I can't find it anywhere--:ashamed1:

Thanks again for the help!!!

Rich

RichB

Occupation
Huh--In the DVD's at one point Mike mentions that the grounding electrode system can not use any of the lightening protection system -- Wouldn't bonding them together be considered as using the lightening protection as part of the grounding system as they are now in parallel?:?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes it would. I am not sure about his video but it was in the 2005 NEC. Not sure when it was added

250.106 Lightning Protection Systems. The lightning
protection system ground terminals shall be bonded to the
building or structure grounding electrode system.

cuba_pete

LPS

LPS

I think the confusion lies in that somehow, somewhere, people had lightning protection systems and tried to use them as grounding for a home when "upgrading" (before receptacles with ground were common/mandated).

When the rules for grounding came around, the powers that be wanted to make sure that a proper grounding system was installed.

Good practice and rules now dictate that the LPS must be bonded to the grounding system and to try and make sure that a lightning system isn't used as a grounding system.

RichB

Occupation
I think the confusion lies in that somehow, somewhere, people had lightning protection systems and tried to use them as grounding for a home when "upgrading" (before receptacles with ground were common/mandated).

When the rules for grounding came around, the powers that be wanted to make sure that a proper grounding system was installed.

Good practice and rules now dictate that the LPS must be bonded to the grounding system and to try and make sure that a lightning system isn't used as a grounding system.

Ahh Thanks Dennis and cuba-- I think that last sentence is what he may have said in the DVD--that a LPS can not be used as the sole grounding electrode system--I'll try and find the DVD again to make sure but I would bet my next check that is what he said!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.