CFL rating - Lumens per Watt??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundowner

Hi guys

What is an acceptable way to determine what the quality of a CFL is - ( I'm talking the spiral ones you'd use in the house these days) I understand efficiency and efficacy, even simpler than that though, can I just get out my calculator and figure Lumens out per Watt consumed??

Thoughts...

Thanks

Electric-Light

Hi guys

What is an acceptable way to determine what the quality of a CFL is - ( I'm talking the spiral ones you'd use in the house these days) I understand efficiency and efficacy, even simpler than that though, can I just get out my calculator and figure Lumens out per Watt consumed??

Thoughts...

Thanks

60-70 LPW. times the optical efficiency of fixture.

sundowner

Thanks...how do I gauge different CFL's though?? The more Lumens per Watt - the better?

I see about a dozen different CFL varieties from my supplier, and am not sure how to tell what is a better bulb. Know what I mean??

Electric-Light

Thanks...how do I gauge different CFL's though?? The more Lumens per Watt - the better?

I see about a dozen different CFL varieties from my supplier, and am not sure how to tell what is a better bulb. Know what I mean??
List them out.
Most importantly, you match the fixture type. If it's a can, you use a BR or PAR, not just cram the 13W twister anywhere and everywhere it fits.

Electric-Light

What about LED's

There's not enough data for me say how they do in the long term. Positive consumer reviews written within weeks of purchasing can not be trusted for durability or claims of efficiency, because you're not reviewing the shelf life of something measured in weeks and the efficiency testing requires measurement instruments out of reach of the average consumer.

Do pay attention to factual negative reports, such as a pattern of reports of "burned out", "color shifts", audible noise, flickering, and so forth.

I'd personally choose, but wouldn't vouch for specifying BR shaped LEDs over CFLs as the price difference between them aren't great primarily because reflector shape CFLs tend to be expensive but long term performance is uncertain. For the A19/standard bulb shape, CFLs are the cost leader.

Some LEDs have a self-destruction protection that dims down to maintain a constant temperature but if this kicks in, the output wll drop. This can be useful for lights that generally only stay on <15 minutes at a time. It comes on at full brightness and it only fades if left for a long time.

Most CFLs and LEDs are not rated for enclosed fixture use. If it doesn't dim down to avoid self-destruction, it will fry.

CREE brand LEDs have a strange sensitivity. The noise from a fridge or a fan turning off confuses the dimming circuit and cause them to flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.