Using Romex in a 6-Story Condo

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWEames

My guess is they wanted it to be resistant to Hurricanes. But we don't, or didn't have strict standards for hurricane force at the time this Condo was built. So if it is a matter of what could be built versus what needed to be built, then I would be fine? I read on some other post about how bad workmanship regardless of wiring method is equally dangerous. I tend to agree. That said, I've seen a lot of tinder boxes, and this ain't one of 'em. Granted, I'm cleaning up a lot of terrible work someone else did, but the place is solid concrete! And is a little metallic shield really going to stop a clumsy worker? I'd like to know exactly what Type the building is. I feel like a single individual with some relaxing candles that owns a condo in a building this size is WAY more of a liability than a little Romex, honestly.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Drilling concrete for supports is a breeze, even if it is 5000 lb concrete such as you find in parking garages if you employ the proper tooling(Hilti brand imho...).

We wish. We had a customer with an all-concrete building that I think was originally spec'd to be a back up for the Pentagon. That concrete must have been near 10,000 psi. We bent half the fasteners we tried to install. Even the Hilti rep was stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.