wire size

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Aside from the questions Pierre asked, more information is required to answer the question. Let's start with, what is the wiring method?

mmitzel56

Sorry, guys,
I am just finishing a 2-year program.It is a building engineering class, covering all facets of building maintenance.(i.e., electrical,ddc,hvac,refrigeration,etc.)
The wiring method is from subpanel to receptacle just using cable.
Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
OK what kind of cable? SE and NM must be used at their 60 degree C ampacity. If the terminations are rated for 75 degrees C then MC can be used at 75 degrees C. AC cable not embedded in insulation with 75 degree terms can also be used at 75 degrees C.

eljefetaco

how about you hire an electrician to the work and you take care of changing the air filter. you seem to be a maintance person trying to do electrical work.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
how about you hire an electrician to the work and you take care of changing the air filter. you seem to be a maintance person trying to do electrical work.

First off let's not try to discourge someone from asking questions. mmitzel56 said that he was a maintanace enegineer/electrician who is learning the trade. Knowing where to find a conductor ampacity is certainly under the purview of his job and questions of that nature are welcome here. Let's keep in mind that we are all of varying levels of experience, education and skill, and that even simple questions are permitted.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Mitzy, welcome to the forum! :)

In addition to the bits of info in the above posts, the type of load also plays a part.

For example, this circuit could be for a welder, a range, an RV, or even a hot tub.

So, what's the load? Or is it just a general-purpose receptacle, where 310.16 rules?

mmitzel56

I believe it is for a plasma cutter; it requires a 45 amp maximum circuit.
Thanks, Mike
P.S. Thank you, too, Rob. I have worked with all kinds of people over the last several years, and there is always someone who "forgets" where they came from.

hillbilly

verify the hours of operation to determine continuous load or not. You may have to size OCPD and conductor at 125% if this is in a manufacturing facility that runs constant.

Nice picture in your profile.
That looks like me when I was a kid in the 50's.
I took out the fuse at the transformer and darkened my home, and my grandfather's across the street.:)

My gadget didn't work.:roll:

steve

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That looks like me when I was a kid in the 50's.
Me, too! :grin:

I took out the fuse at the transformer and darkened my home, and my grandfather's across the street.:)
"How did you reach the fuse? :confused:" I was thinking, until I read:
My gadget didn't work.:roll:
Oh, please tell! :) (I only took out single circuits back then. :roll:)

skeshesh

hilarious

hilarious

I took out the fuse at the transformer and darkened my home, and my grandfather's across the street.

When I was in elementary school, the teacher didn't accept a note from my folks so I can skip some boring field trip. Her reason? she didn't want me to stay behind in an empty classroom cause she knew I was gonno mess with all the outlets and whatnot and get her behind sued!

Jim W in Tampa

Depending on what state your in you may not be allowed to do this work under maintenance. Your asking about a new install not maintenance. Many factors are involved here such as load calculation of panel your adding this to. Also as mentioned the load may be continuous. Sounds like exspensive equipment and might be above your ability to be wiring it in and properly fuseing. You said max 45 amps, is that the max overcurrent protection or max load. We want to help you but your not giving enough details.

Status
Not open for further replies.