Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shunt Trip Breakers Commercial Cooking

Shunt Trip Breakers Commercial Cooking

I am looking for documentation on the use of shunt trip breakers or other disconnecting means for receptacle power under the hood of a commercial cooking application, where an Asul system is used as the fire supression system. I am told that the chemical used is conductive.

Most of the regulations are found in NFPA17A.
    In general terms, because of the conductivity of the Ansul fire protection, all electrical under the hood must be disconnected when the system trips.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Ansul Fire Protection

Excellent, my next question, is the disconnecting means required to be a shuntrip breaker? Is it permissable to feed the circuits through a contactor and use the normally closed contacts on the Ansul System to control the coil?

Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    Most of the regulations are found in NFPA17A.
    In general terms, because of the conductivity of the Ansul fire protection, all electrical under the hood must be disconnected when the system trips.
    Around here, the fan must keep running.
    "Appliances and wiring will burn out to protect fuses"

From what I understand only the power serving the equipment under the hood must be disconnected, the lights and fan are not in line to be affected by the chemical used.

This question keeps popping up. In NFPA 17A article 4.4.3.1 requires "all sources of fuel and electric power that produce heat to all equipment protected by the system shall be shut down." 4.4.3.2 requires "gas appliances not requiring protection but located under the same ventillation equipment shall also be shut down. This means only the cooking equipment protected by the ansul system and other gas appliances need to shut down. The lights and other electric power do not need to shut down if you are using NFPA 17A.
    Rick Napier
    Inspector and Instructor

Excellent, my next question, is the disconnecting means required to be a shuntrip breaker? Is it permissable to feed the circuits through a contactor and use the normally closed contacts on the Ansul System to control the coil? Would this be a suitable disconnecting means?

Brunz,
    I appreciate Rick's post and don't disagree with it in any way. That said, you might want to check with the Fire Marshal, if any, for the area in question.
    After reading Rick's post I contacted the FM that has been requiring ALL electrical to shut down and he advises it is a National Fire Code (2006) requirement but I have no documentation to support that.
    (He is providing documentation, and if and when he does I will update the post)
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

I appreciate you following up for me. I am only being asked to shut down equipment power. I am working with an older kitchen and panel. Currently there is no disconnecting means for the equipment power in the event of an alarm on the Ansul system. The panel has no open spaces to fit shunt-trip breakers into it. Would it be legal to use a contactor as a disconnecting means if the coil power is fed through a set of normally closed contacts on the Ansul system in order to avoid using shunt-trip breakers?

Quote Originally Posted by Brunz View Post
    Would it be legal to use a contactor as a disconnecting means if the coil power is fed through a set of normally closed contacts on the Ansul system in order to avoid using shunt-trip breakers?
    I've used a contactor the last 2-3 times. As long as the hood equipment/make up air shuts down when the fire suppression system is activated, is all they care about.

The exhaust fan is left running.