No-Name GFI Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I went to a customers house that had a bathroom recently remodeled because the newly installed GFI receptacle was tripping with nothing plugged in. They didn't care for the electrician and would not allow him to return to troubleshoot the problem. I got the call.

The test button tripped it and it would reset. I assummed it was a defective based on their statement that it had tripped numerous times in a couple of days. I removed the receptacle to examine it. I replaced it with a new gfi receptacle. I kept the defective one but I sure wouldn't install it anywhere.

The gfi receptacle I removed didn't seem like it was new. Maybe it had been rolling around in his truck for a while. But I was really surprised that I could not find a brand name or a UL label. I did find two labels that had been peeled off. One had to be a UL label as part of the circle shows and there is a number above it (E243387). I assume the other label identified the manufacturer.

Why would UL and manufacturer labels be removed?

What code violations could be cited?

What liability does this create for the contractor that installed the no-name and not listed device?

Mike

growler

They didn't care for the electrician and would not allow him to return to troubleshoot the problem.

Are you really sure it was an electrician. In this area when I find things that are very questionable and ask who did the install all I get is that it was a guy named Joe. No they don't know the name of the company or his phone number.

Who goes around installing these no-name GFCIs anyway, it's just easier to install a name brand and charge the customer for the correct materials?

If this thing were installed recently ( buy a real contractor ) why wouldn't the customer want the electrician that installed it to come back? It would be under warranty and a free service call.

I don't trust customers, when they tell me they don't like someone I ask for the electricians name, company name and phone number. It should all be on the invoice. I have never had a customer supply me with the name of what I would consider a real company. It's normally someone doing side work at best.

mkgrady

Are you really sure it was an electrician. In this area when I find things that are very questionable and ask who did the install all I get is that it was a guy named Joe. No they don't know the name of the company or his phone number. *Who goes around installing these no-name GFCIs anyway, it's just easier to install* a name brand and charge the customer for the correct materials? *If this thing were installed recently ( buy a real contractor )* why wouldn't the customer want the electrician that installed it to come back? It would be under warranty and a free service call. *I don't trust customers, when they tell me they don't like someone I ask for the electricians name, company name and phone number. It should all be on the invoice. I have never had a customer supply me with the name of what I would consider a real company. It's normally someone doing side work at best.
Yup. I know who he is and he has a real business. I compete with him.I assume he saved money buy buying this product. Of course that's not worth it to me but it must be to him.*Because they thought he was uncooperative, pushy and he did some other sloppy work that I didn't get in to.I'm curious as to what happens when a product is used that has no listing or name brand, or that info has been peeled off, and there is a disaster by either fire or electrocution.

growler

I'm curious as to what happens when a product is used that has no listing or name brand, or that info has been peeled off, and there is a disaster by either fire or electrocution.

Well I have been told that criminal negligence is hard to prove but if they can it's a real bummer. :grin:

mkgrady

Well I have been told that criminal negligence is hard to prove but if they can it's a real bummer. :grin:

So, who is named in a lawsuit? The electrician, the GC, the manufacturer of the gfi?

The electrician must understand he has liability. I would expect the GC would have liability for hiring an electrician that does unsafe work. If it could be determined who made the gfi, I assume the manufacture would have liability. Whoever sold the electrician the GFI must have liability too.

Not looking for legal advice. This is all theoretical, but I am trying to understand this so I can approach the GC, explain the risk he is taking and get more of his business. He likes my work but not my prices.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Mike,
The "e" number will give you the manufacuturer.
Number of hits: 2 The maximum number of hits returned is 5000.
You may choose to Refine Your Search.
Company Name
Category Name
Link to File
SHANGHAI ELE MFG CORP
Ground-fault Circuit Interrupters
KCXS.E243387
SHANGHAI ELE MFG CORP
Ground-fault Circuit Interrupters Certified for Canada
KCXS7.E243387

This page is where you go to type in the "e" number to find information about the manufacturer.

mkgrady

Thanks Don. That tells me who made the product.

Any guess as to why the labels would be removed? I don't think the electrician would do it. Can't think of any reason he would. I don't think the manufacturer would but I don't know. I assume the seller might, but why?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Any guess as to why the labels would be removed? I don't think the electrician would do it. Can't think of any reason he would. I don't think the manufacturer would but I don't know. I assume the seller might, but why?
I really have no idea as to why the labels would have been removed. Could be as simple as poor quality glue from the manufacturer.

norcal

One question to be asked: Was there ever a UL label on it???

mkgrady

One question to be asked: Was there ever a UL label on it???
Yes the UL label was mostly removed except a code number. As Don R pointed out in a prior post this number identified the manufacturer. There was another removed sticker and both left behind paper and the glue that hold the sticker in place.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Some time ago I started this thread and there was a lengthy discussion :http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=92121. These GFI receptacles were made by Shanghai Electric in China under the trade name Magnatron and distributed by RT electric in Florida. I filed a complaint with the CPSC and soon thereafter these products were removed from their catalog. If you want to take the time to read through this thread you'll see that this company refused to stand behind their product. In fact, if you get to the end of the thread you'll see that the company's owner logged onto the forum as a user and made an attempt at bashing me for turning him in.:roll:

mkgrady

Some time ago I started this thread and there was a lengthy discussion :http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=92121. These GFI receptacles were made by Shanghai Electric in China under the trade name Magnatron and distributed by RT electric in Florida. I filed a complaint with the CPSC and soon thereafter these products were removed from their catalog. If you want to take the time to read through this thread you'll see that this company refused to stand behind their product. In fact, if you get to the end of the thread you'll see that the company's owner logged onto the forum as a user and made an attempt at bashing me for turning him in.:roll:

Thanks, I'll definetly read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.