Greenfield 3/8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Would like to know in place of Mc in walls, Can I use 3/8 greenfield over 6 feet in length But under 20 feet. to avoid a transition splice between service and final outlet.
If I run pipe I would have to splice, Then change to MC.

Would like to pull wires without any splicing to first box.
(Some do spec it that way).

iwire

Staff member
Would like to know in place of Mc in walls, Can I use 3/8 greenfield over 6 feet in length But under 20 feet. to avoid a transition splice between service and final outlet.
If I run pipe I would have to splice, Then change to MC.

Would like to pull wires without any splicing to first box.
(Some do spec it that way).

Forget the 3/8" size, run at least 1/2" and your good to go.

That said I would simply do this with MC and a 'changeover' to MC without a splice, however the changeover would have to remain accessible.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
3/8" FMC is limited to 6' in length. You'll need to use a minimum of 1/2" FMC. 348.20(A)

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Greenfield

Greenfield

We ran 3/4 and 1 inch Emt to front of store to 12x12. Then transition to 3/8 Greenfield for remaining 20 feet. I cant figure out why it wont let me use this last 20 feet and run wires in it to avoid a splice.

I cant run mc stripped to avoid transitition as stated. 1/2 greenfield is way overkill. Did it before and seems to much for 3 #12.

masterinbama

We ran 3/4 and 1 inch Emt to front of store to 12x12. Then transition to 3/8 Greenfield for remaining 20 feet. I cant figure out why it wont let me use this last 20 feet and run wires in it to avoid a splice.

I cant run mc stripped to avoid transitition as stated. 1/2 greenfield is way overkill. Did it before and seems to much for 3 #12.

3 #12's in 3/8 flex is gonna be tough even in a 6' length.

iwire

Staff member

348.20(A) prohibits the use of 3/8" for what you want to do.

Why? I have no idea.

Is 1/2" overkill for 3 #12s? I don't think so, if you could get 3/8" EMT would you want to pull 3 #12s through that?

I am still lost why you say MC can not be used. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.