UL listing

Status
Not open for further replies.

buldogg

On a different forum there was a question if the UL listing of a receptacle would be voided if tape was wrapped around the terminals. What is the consensus here?

mcclary's electrical

I very rarely do it, however, my vote would be no. It is not a permanent change to the receptacle. IMO, it would be no different than putting tape on a wirenut. Again, something I rarely do.

Volta

UL says that only UL can determine if changes to a product void a listing or not, through a Field Evaluation Service, for instance.

UL said:
. . . Unless UL evaluates a modified or rebuilt product, UL can neither say that such changes "void" the UL Mark, nor that the product meet's UL's safety standards.

I see no problem with it, and don't feel that the tade "modifies" the device.

LJSMITH1

Technically, you are not modifying the device, so I would say the UL Listing is still valid. Unless the type of tape was not your typical 3M 33, and it had some kind of acidic adhesive that would severely corrode the terminals under the right conditions...but that is just a "what if"...:cool:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This was in NECA's code question of the day today.
Monday's code question and answer:
Monday, September 21, 2009 Subject: 120 volt outlets

Is it okay to rap electrical tape around the terminals when installing receptacle outlets. I am asking because I used to do this and was told by an inspector that this practice voided the UL listing.

Thank you
Dan

Answer:
Hey Dan,

Good question. The device was not tested or evaluated with electrical tape applied. I?m also sure the manufacturer instructions do not require tape to be applied.

Section: 110.3(B) Source: Charlie Trout
I sent a note to Charlie saying that I don't think he actually answered the question and I don't see a code or listing issue with applying the tape.

cowboyjwc

Staff member

I sent a note to Charlie saying that I don't think he actually answered the question and I don't see a code or listing issue with applying the tape.

While I see where Charlie might be going, and while I also never did it my self, I also don't see where it would be a big deal.

buldogg

Thanks. Here at work, it's standard practice to wrap tape around the receptacles. When I saw the response on CQD I was surprised.

480sparky

If wrapping tape is a violation, then would replacing the 6/32 mounting screws with something else be a violation?

When I mount devices in handi-boxes, I find the 6/32 screws are too long and will hit a connector that's been installed. I take the screw out and shorten it to prevent this.

I hope the UL police doesn't come and arrest me.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If wrapping tape is a violation, then would replacing the 6/32 mounting screws with something else be a violation?

When I mount devices in handi-boxes, I find the 6/32 screws are too long and will hit a connector that's been installed. I take the screw out and shorten it to prevent this.

I hope the UL police doesn't come and arrest me.

"Bad boy, bad boy, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when they come for you....":D

480sparky

"Bad boy, bad boy, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when they come for you....":D

Hey, free health care, plus three hots and a cot!
030106YA36_prv.gif

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I don't know that tape is really allowed or called for anywhere. Guys use it to tape wire nuts (seems like a waste of time to me) or the recept. screws (I use it in cut in boxes sometimes) or maybe to fix the nick in a wire. You used to see a lot more of it when "Western Union" or "linemens" splices were allowed or when you have K & T installed.

hurk27

I would not rely on the tape to hold the wire in place against the terminal. How much time is it going to save you? You have the screws, why not use them?:D

Your joking I hope:D

I have used it where JEM boxes are used, as the screws on a receptacle can contact the sides if slid over in the slotes, espeically when #12 is under the screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.