What do YOU do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodduder

I run into this scenario from time to time (see attachment). How do you avoid having a parallel path for neutral current on the EMT and trough AND the ground wire between the Service Main and the meter? Every time we do this there is confusion and every inspector has a different way they want to see it done. The meter neutral is connected to the can so you can't avoid. Anybody have a different way?

Buck Parrish

IMO I think this is wideky accepted since it is through the conduit.
The grd. bushings , etc... may have to be done a little different.

Are you talking "No Equipment Grd.?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Parallel paths for grounded conductor current on the line side of the service disconnect(s) is not prohibited by the NEC and in some cases the rules in the NEC require the creation of a parallel path for grounded conductor current.

elohr46

I run into this scenario from time to time (see attachment). How do you avoid having a parallel path for neutral current on the EMT and trough AND the ground wire between the Service Main and the meter? Every time we do this there is confusion and every inspector has a different way they want to see it done. The meter neutral is connected to the can so you can't avoid. Anybody have a different way?

Look at 250.142(B) ex. #2.

I think this is what your looking for.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I can see it for a factory or other industrial situation, but a location with 'tenants'? That just seems like apartments to me.

I've seen lots of apartments with a main before the meters.

If you have 20 apartments, how else could you meet the 6 disconnect rule except by putting a main disconnect before the meters??

Normally, the utility company just puts their seal on the main disconnect.

Steve

woodduder

How do you manage a disco before the meter?
Very common practice around Sarasota Florida
PVC solves it
Ya, weve done that at the request of a few inspectors.
Parallel paths for grounded conductor current on the line side of the service disconnect(s) is not prohibited by the NEC and in some cases the rules in the NEC require the creation of a parallel path for grounded conductor current.
I was not aware of that. I guess my drawing is OK then, right?
I don't know, perhaps 'Tennant' is a commercial tenant?
Yes indeed. very common for buildings here to use this method.

Thanks for the replies

Status
Not open for further replies.