Article 230.79 & Article 230.42(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I know we been thru this but this is a bit different. IMO, 230.79 talks about minimum rating of the disconnect and 230.42(B) states the conductors must match the amp. of these req. disconnects. I know we all don't agree...

So, we cn agree that 230.79(C) states we need a minimum of a 100 amp disconnect for a one family dwelling however since a multi family dwelling is not listed it appears to fall under (D) All Others which only requires a 60 amp disconnect. Do we agree?

I find it odd and I realize it would be unlikely to have a multi unit dwelling with just a 60 amp service but it looks like the NEC would allow it. YES?

Last edited:

retire09

An apartment is still considered to be a one family dwelling.
But an apartment is supplied by a feeder not a service.
Is that your point?

retire09

The building is not the same but the individual apartments are the same as a single family dwelling.
A dwelling is the same whether it is a separate house or an apartment.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The building is not the same but the individual apartments are the same as a single family dwelling.
A dwelling is the same whether it is a separate house or an apartment.

I understand but the NEC makes a distinction throughout the NEC but it does not include multifamily in 230.79. It specifically says single family. The building could be fed with a 60 amp service IMO.

retire09

A SF dwelling is one dwelling unit in one building.
Multi- family building is 3 or more dwelling units in one building.
See definitions, 220.84 and 215.2

david

I know we been thru this but this is a bit different. IMO, 230.79 talks about minimum rating of the disconnect and 230.42(B) states the conductors must match the amp. of these req. disconnects. I know we all don't agree...

So, we cn agree that 230.79(C) states we need a minimum of a 100 amp disconnect for a one family dwelling however since a multi family dwelling is not listed it appears to fall under (D) All Others which only requires a 60 amp disconnect. Do we agree?

I find it odd and I realize it would be unlikely to have a multi unit dwelling with just a 60 amp service but it looks like the NEC would allow it. YES?

I agree that a multi family dwelling does not need a min of 100 amp service in conjunction with 220.84 table 220.84

I would think a single family dwelling would not have the load diversity as two family and multifamily dwelling

RB1

Dennis,

A 60 amp service is OK for an individual dwelling within a multi-family building provided that the standard calculation method is used. The load diversity for a dwelling unit should be similar (electric heat notwithstanding) regardless of whether it is part a of a multi-family occupancy, or a one- and two-family dwelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.