Conduits on the Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

daleuger

I'm with Steve on this one. I found about 10 corrections in an attic the other day and the guy straight up told me, "I didn't think you would go up there.":)

As true as that may be most of the time doubt I'd ever actually say it out loud. :grin:

daleuger

So, in areas that inspectors may not get to means that following the codes in not applicable?

Those kind of comments always stoke my coals...if you get what I am saying.

Not necessarily that but it does seem to be a fact of life a good lot of them don't want to get dirty.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If a "Electrician" said that to me, I would have quickly pulled out the
"Fine-Toothed Comb!"

Oh it was a "very fine-toothed comb". They pulled in a black #8 and used it as a neutral. "OK we'll tape it at both ends." "No you'll pull it out and replace it like the code says." (Normally I probably would have let them tape it.)

Along with the missing J-box covers, ko seals and non strapped conduits, I found an MC cable that came out of an outlet and was just hanging there, like they were going to put in another outlet, but didn't. Now if I hadn't crawled up there when were they going to discover that. Your guess is probably the same as mine was, right after we turned on the power.

So, in areas that inspectors may not get to means that following the codes in not applicable?

Those kind of comments always stoke my coals...if you get what I am saying.

Oh I know exactly what you mean. I crawl into as many places as my aching body will let me.

When I was interviewing for this job, one of the questions they asked was "what makes you think that you would be a good inspector?" "Because I know where they'll cheat."

boatfull

Are the Blocks used to support conduits that are run across a flat roof required to be secured to the roof ? I've seen several instances where conduits were strapped to 4x4 treated blocks that were just layed on the roof that had been kicked around and crooked.

down here in florida the ahj requires the supports to be part of the roofing system. in others words the roofer is required to secure them in place, directed by the electrican. and they have to be 8" off the deck.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Oh it was a "very fine-toothed comb". They pulled in a black #8 and used it as a neutral. "OK we'll tape it at both ends." "No you'll pull it out and replace it like the code says." (Normally I probably would have let them tape it.)

What code requirement are you referring to here?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I've never seen them under a house crawling around.

I managed to get the Chief Inspector (a friend of mine) into a crawl space to inspect a furnace I hooked up. He was filling in for the regular inspector who was on vacation. He showed up in dress clothes and I started teasing him, taunting him actually, about going under the house where the rabid (and non-existent) raccoon lived. He got as far as the furnace and said I was OK. I asked if he checked ALL THE WAY back to where the Romex went up through the floor. You know, just in case I missed a staple. He just smiled and refused, noting that my use of an SSU was overkill. I gotta hand it to him for even going down there.

cowboyjwc

Staff member

What code requirement are you referring to here?

That would be 200.6(A).

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I managed to get the Chief Inspector (a friend of mine) into a crawl space to inspect a furnace I hooked up. He was filling in for the regular inspector who was on vacation. He showed up in dress clothes and I started teasing him, taunting him actually, about going under the house where the rabid (and non-existent) raccoon lived. He got as far as the furnace and said I was OK. I asked if he checked ALL THE WAY back to where the Romex went up through the floor. You know, just in case I missed a staple. He just smiled and refused, noting that my use of an SSU was overkill. I gotta hand it to him for even going down there.

Had a local electrician call and tell me that the inspector wanted him to move the cold water bonding clamp nearer to the crawl hole on a house.

"One of my inspectors asked for that?"
"Oh no, it's over in 'another jurisdiction'. I just thought it had to be accessible."
"Was it an older, heavy set guy with a tie?"
"Yeah. Do you know him?"
"I don't even know who the inspector is over there, I just took a guess at what he looked like and my next guess is he doesn't want to crawl under there and verify it.":D:D

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Would it be safe to say that a #6 or smaller grounding conductor could not be taped green also?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Thats very interesting about Identifying Neutrals and Grounds smaller than #6
with tape.
I learn something new every day.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
on the good days, we all do. At my age even the "previous" stuff is often "new":) View attachment 3771

Pretty soon you'll be able to hide your own Easter eggs.:grin:

Thats very interesting about Identifying Neutrals and Grounds smaller than #6
with tape.
I learn something new every day.

Now, like I said, normally I may have let him reidentify it with tape, but when he started playing games, then I've got this big old book full of stuff that I can look for.:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.