Gas range dedicated 15 amp Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Why would a Gas range require a dedicated max 15 amp circuit. That is what the instructions say.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Why would a Gas range require a dedicated max 15 amp circuit. That is what the instructions say.
Three speculations:
1. The glow bar igniters take a lot of power.
2. The spark igniters might cause interference to other equipment.
3. The manufacturer just wants a dedicated circuit as CYA.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Three speculations:

I'm voting #3!:thumbsup:

I'm guessing they figure no one will run a dedicated circuit. When something goes wrong with the stove they have an "out" by saying, "well you didn't follow the installation instructions so the warranty is void".

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
would the 2014 NEC require this to be either GFCI or AFCI?
Kitchens were added to AFCI requirements in the 2014 NEC so, it looks like that will have to be. However, I would suspect that the spark ignition on the burners may pose a problem. BTW, I vote with Little Bill on this. # 3 is a CYA type thing.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I installed a circuit for a wine cooler. Very small unit that fit under the kitchen counter. The draw was something like 1 amp or less and it called for an individual circuit-- they are nuts. Manufacturer is just trying to make sure nothing else causes havoc on their digital stuff-- that's my opinion anyway.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I installed a circuit for a wine cooler. Very small unit that fit under the kitchen counter. The draw was something like 1 amp or less and it called for an individual circuit-- they are nuts. Manufacturer is just trying to make sure nothing else causes havoc on their digital stuff-- that's my opinion anyway.

What will cause havoc with the electronics if there were other items on that circuits?

John120/240

Three speculations:

Ditto on #3. It has been common practice to come from microwave receptacle located directly above the gas range.

Status
Not open for further replies.