Just Getting Started In CHICAGO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsgoudy

Hello,

This is my first post and I was hoping to get a little guidance. I live in Chicago and I am looking to become an electrician and contacted the local NJATC facilities and was told that they aren't registering any new apprentices until next year. I was wondering if or how I can begin to gain experience or knowledge now until new registration begins? I don't really have any contacts or previous experience so I am just trying to figure how to at least get pointed in the right direction. I was previously in sales and I hated it and decided that this was the career I wanted now I just need a little help figuring out how to get started or at least prepare to get started.

Thanks and any info will help,

Justin Goudy

joelsanch

getting started in Chicago

getting started in Chicago

Justin-

Its probably one of the worst times to be starting your carreer since there are over two thousand journeyman on the books and about 160 apprentices laid off. One apprentice I know has been waiting for work since October of last year. I am a residential apprentice who was recently laid off.

Now that you have the bad news, the good news is there is a lot of info out there. You started out at the right web site. Get as much info out there as you can about the trade and first learn how to BEND PIPE! It is a must here in chicago and if you really wanna market yourself out there you start by getting a good book on conduit bending, get yourself a 1/2 inch bender, and a bundle of 1/2 inch pipe. Get your piping skills going and you will be ahead of anyone just starting in the field. After you've bent some 90's and offsets, then teach yourself how to wire two 3 way switches and understand how they function together and you can even put that on a resume: Conduit bending and ability to wire 3 way switches. Those two skills alone will surely get you started!!

Hope this was some help and good luck!!

Danfrey

Idea for the bad economy

Idea for the bad economy

Depending on your age and income status, you may consider the job corps. It is a free program offered to people 16 - 24 who are considered low income. My son was 19 when he joined so they didn't include my income in considering him low income. He was unemployed and had no income, so low income was a given. They cover all of your expenses while you get your training.

One bit of advice though, avoid the centers that are located in urban areas, they tend to be a little rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.