Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Square D 2-pole GFI Breaker

Square D 2-pole GFI Breaker

I just finished wiring a hot tub (240-volt, 3-wire) hot tub. When I pulled the breaker out of the box, I noticed there was no place to put my neutral wire. The breaker has a neutral wire that connects to the neutral bar, but no neutral connection on the load side. When I saw this, I immediately said it won't work, but I hooked it up anyway. I was right.

Has anyone run across this? I can't think of a reason not to have a neutral connection. Does Square D have a different breaker.

The part number is QO260GFI.

Frank
    p.s. Even the illustration shows the breaker without a neutral connection on the 60amp breaker, but with the 50amp breaker.

It would work fine with a straight 240 load, but if the load is 120/240 you need to get a breaker with a neutral connection.

Quote Originally Posted by frank_n View Post
    I just finished wiring a hot tub (240-volt, 3-wire) hot tub. When I pulled the breaker out of the box, I noticed there was no place to put my neutral wire. The breaker has a neutral wire that connects to the neutral bar, but no neutral connection on the load side. When I saw this, I immediately said it won't work, but I hooked it up anyway. I was right.

Has anyone run across this? I can't think of a reason not to have a neutral connection. Does Square D have a different breaker.

The part number is QO260GFI.

Frank
    p.s. Even the illustration shows the breaker without a neutral connection on the 60amp breaker, but with the 50amp breaker.
    In your case you did not have a neutral you had an EGC. This is a normal install. The neutral wire on the breaker is for the internal electronics that monitor the phases and the push-to-test button
    Organized people are people that are just too lazy to look for their stuff

Why would Sq D even make a GFI breaker without a neutral load connection? Maybe it's a manufacturing defect, it wouldn't make sense for Sq D to make 2 different 60 amp 2 pole GFI breakers. But I've been wrong before....

Quote Originally Posted by Cow View Post
    Why would Sq D even make a GFI breaker without a neutral load connection? Maybe it's a manufacturing defect, it wouldn't make sense for Sq D to make 2 different 60 amp 2 pole GFI breakers. But I've been wrong before....
    It's not a defect. Had you bought A GFI, with a load neutral lug,,,,,butyou only had a straight 240 volt load, you would not land anything on that terminal. This is the same thing, without the extra terminal to confuse people. Although, I see it still does.

Square D 2-pole GFI breakers only have a neutral load connection on 50 Amp and smaller units. Their 60 Amp breaker is for 240 Volt loads only.

As you have discovered, there are no operational problems with this configuration on 240 Volt loads.

Quote Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
    Square D 2-pole GFI breakers only have a neutral load connection on 50 Amp and smaller units. Their 60 Amp breaker is for 240 Volt loads only.

As you have discovered, there are no operational problems with this configuration on 240 Volt loads.
    He must need his neutral, he said it wouldn't work.

I do need my neutral. Now what?

Get a 2-pole GFCI breaker with a white neutral pigtail.

I thought you said
    (240-volt, 3-wire)
    Organized people are people that are just too lazy to look for their stuff