CSST bonding methods

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvacnut

I'm an HVAC contractor and understand the importance of bonding CSST correctly. Can't tell you how many incorrectly bonded CSST installations I have come across and corrected. The only correct method I know of is to attach a ground clamp to a cleaned off portion of metallic pipe (usually black iron pipe) or a CSST brass fitting that is threaded onto the metallic pipe, both of which must be located between the meter and the first piece of CSST. Then running a #6 bare ground wire from that ground clamp to the ground bar of the electrical service box (which I call a breaker box or a plug fuse box if it's an older 60 amp service).

However, I've always wondered what the term "electrical service equipment enclosure" refers to. Are we talking about the metal box that houses the breakers or plug fuses? If so, can I use a green self-tapping ground screw to attach the #6 wire to outside of that box to bond the CSST? Please find pasted below a copy of the CSST bonding literature I am referring to and note the bold portion.

Thanks in advance!

hvacnut

Direct Bonding of Standard (Yellow) CSSTwww.CSSTSafety.comDirect bonding is required for gas piping systems incorporating standard (yellow) or uncoated CSST whether or notthe connected gas equipment is electrically powered. This requirement is provided as part of the manufacturer'sinstruction for single-family and multi-family buildings and required by the 2009 and later editions of the NationalFuel Gas Code, the International Fuel Gas Code and the Uniform Plumbing Code. A person knowledgeable inelectrical system design, the local electrical code and these requirements should specify the bonding for commercialapplications.Standard CSST installed inside or attached to a building or structure shall be electrically continuous and directbondedto the electrical ground system of the premises in which it is installed. The gas piping system shall beconsidered to be direct-bonded when installed in accordance with the following:The bonding conductor is permanently and directly connected to the electrical service equipment enclosure, thegrounded conductor at the electrical service, the grounding electrode conductor, or to one or more of the groundingelectrodes used. When an additional grounding electrode(s) is used for the gas service, it shall be bonded to theelectrical service grounding electrode system or, where provided, the lightning protection grounding system. Forsingle and multi-family structures a single bond connection shall be made on an accessible rigid piping component orCSST fitting located downstream of the utility gas meter or second-stage LP regulator. The bonding clampattachment point may be at any location within the gas piping system. However, the shortest practical bonding wirelength will improve the effectiveness of the direct-bond. The corrugated stainless steel tubing portion of the gaspiping system shall not be used as the point of attachment of the bonding clamp under any circumstances. (Fig. 1, 2)The bonding conductor shall be no smaller than a 6 AWG copper wire or equivalent. The bonding conductor shall beinstalled and protected in accordance with the National Electrical Code, NFPA 70, (NEC) and Canadian Electrical Code CSAC22.1(CEC). Bonding/grounding clamps shall be installed in accordance with its listing per UL 467 and shall makemetal-to-metal contact with a rigid pipe component or CSST fitting. This direct-bond is in addition to any otherbonding requirements as specified by local codes for ground fault protection.The 2015 edition of the National Fuel Gas Code, International Fuel Gas Code, and Uniform Plumbing Code limits thelength of the bonding conductor to 75-ft. When there are no local code requirements for the length of thisconductor refer to the manufactures instructions or the NEC / CEC for guidance regarding the permissible length ofthe bonding conductor.Black Pipe Component Figure 1: Bonding Clamp Attachment to Pipe Figure. 2: Bonding Clamp on CSST Fittingor Gastite Stub-OutManufactures of black jacketed CSST products which have been tested and listed to ICC-ES LC 1024, ?CSST Utilizing aProtective Jacket?, may not require or include in their instructions the additional direct-bonding step that is requiredwith standard (yellow) CSST products. However local codes may be more restrictive and may differ frommanufacturer?s requirements. Local codes take precedence and must be adhered to.BONDING WIREBONDING CLAMPCSST FTG.FTGFTGFTGFITTIBONDING WIREBONDINGCLAMP*PIPE NIPPLE*Pipe components mustbe made from steel,galvanized steel, blackiron, copper and/orbrass.Rev. 071114

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The electrical service equipment includes the meter and the first service disconnect- usually the first panel. You would not be allowed to go to a sub panel- that is not service equipment.

Also are you using the proper ground clamp? I believe it must be list as suitable for the bonding-- I can't remember the UL number that should be on it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I believe it would be compliant to bond it to the grounding electrode conductor that goes to the ground rod assuming it is #6 or larger. Truthfully you should not be going into the service panel. The only want us electricians to get hurt. LOL

kwired

Electron manager
I'm an HVAC contractor and understand the importance of bonding CSST correctly. Can't tell you how many incorrectly bonded CSST installations I have come across and corrected. The only correct method I know of is to attach a ground clamp to a cleaned off portion of metallic pipe (usually black iron pipe) or a CSST brass fitting that is threaded onto the metallic pipe, both of which must be located between the meter and the first piece of CSST. Then running a #6 bare ground wire from that ground clamp to the ground bar of the electrical service box (which I call a breaker box or a plug fuse box if it's an older 60 amp service).

However, I've always wondered what the term "electrical service equipment enclosure" refers to. Are we talking about the metal box that houses the breakers or plug fuses? If so, can I use a green self-tapping ground screw to attach the #6 wire to outside of that box to bond the CSST? Please find pasted below a copy of the CSST bonding literature I am referring to and note the bold portion.

Thanks in advance!

hvacnut

Direct Bonding of Standard (Yellow) CSSTwww.CSSTSafety.comDirect bonding is required for gas piping systems incorporating standard (yellow) or uncoated CSST whether or notthe connected gas equipment is electrically powered. This requirement is provided as part of the manufacturer'sinstruction for single-family and multi-family buildings and required by the 2009 and later editions of the NationalFuel Gas Code, the International Fuel Gas Code and the Uniform Plumbing Code. A person knowledgeable inelectrical system design, the local electrical code and these requirements should specify the bonding for commercialapplications.Standard CSST installed inside or attached to a building or structure shall be electrically continuous and directbondedto the electrical ground system of the premises in which it is installed. The gas piping system shall beconsidered to be direct-bonded when installed in accordance with the following:The bonding conductor is permanently and directly connected to the electrical service equipment enclosure, thegrounded conductor at the electrical service, the grounding electrode conductor, or to one or more of the groundingelectrodes used. When an additional grounding electrode(s) is used for the gas service, it shall be bonded to theelectrical service grounding electrode system or, where provided, the lightning protection grounding system. Forsingle and multi-family structures a single bond connection shall be made on an accessible rigid piping component orCSST fitting located downstream of the utility gas meter or second-stage LP regulator. The bonding clampattachment point may be at any location within the gas piping system. However, the shortest practical bonding wirelength will improve the effectiveness of the direct-bond. The corrugated stainless steel tubing portion of the gaspiping system shall not be used as the point of attachment of the bonding clamp under any circumstances. (Fig. 1, 2)The bonding conductor shall be no smaller than a 6 AWG copper wire or equivalent. The bonding conductor shall beinstalled and protected in accordance with the National Electrical Code, NFPA 70, (NEC) and Canadian Electrical Code CSAC22.1(CEC). Bonding/grounding clamps shall be installed in accordance with its listing per UL 467 and shall makemetal-to-metal contact with a rigid pipe component or CSST fitting. This direct-bond is in addition to any otherbonding requirements as specified by local codes for ground fault protection.The 2015 edition of the National Fuel Gas Code, International Fuel Gas Code, and Uniform Plumbing Code limits thelength of the bonding conductor to 75-ft. When there are no local code requirements for the length of thisconductor refer to the manufactures instructions or the NEC / CEC for guidance regarding the permissible length ofthe bonding conductor.Black Pipe Component Figure 1: Bonding Clamp Attachment to Pipe Figure. 2: Bonding Clamp on CSST Fittingor Gastite Stub-OutManufactures of black jacketed CSST products which have been tested and listed to ICC-ES LC 1024, ?CSST Utilizing aProtective Jacket?, may not require or include in their instructions the additional direct-bonding step that is requiredwith standard (yellow) CSST products. However local codes may be more restrictive and may differ frommanufacturer?s requirements. Local codes take precedence and must be adhered to.BONDING WIREBONDING CLAMPCSST FTG.FTGFTGFTGFITTIBONDING WIREBONDINGCLAMP*PIPE NIPPLE*Pipe components mustbe made from steel,galvanized steel, blackiron, copper and/orbrass.Rev. 071114
Since you are an HVAC contractor I have to ask, do you install the bonding for your CSST or do you ask the electrician to do it? I don't want anything to do with it myself, but if I were the one installing the CSST that would be different. IMO it is part of the job of installing the CSST. Also we are (have been for a few years now) supposed to provide an intersystem bonding termination point at/near the electric service for others that need to bond to the electrical system to have a place to connect to. Funny thing is even if you have one installed some telephone or TV guys are not on board with them yet and will still put some clamp on a conduit, a water pipe (may not even be electrically continuous to the electrical system), a clamp on a meter socket or service panel, or even land their grounding conductor under a set screw of a raceway or cable fitting:(.

I can understand if a HVAC guy asked me to install an intersystem bonding terminal in an older installation that doesn't have one, but I wish they would stop asking me to bond their piping - you get several different instructions on how to do it - IMO that may be true depending on instructions of product used - but why isn't it the CSST installer's problem instead of mine?

If I do install it does that change my liability both from users as well as liability insurance - in a way I am now partially involved with running gas piping - not part of what I normally do.

RLyons

Interesting how it says...

"Forsingle and multi-family structures a single bond connection shall be made on an accessible rigid piping component orCSST fitting located downstream of the utility gas meter or second-stage LP regulator. The bonding clamp attachment point may be at any location within the gas piping system."

My local Poco requires on new installation the bond on the first section of pipe on the downstream side of the meter or the will not install the new meter. Also been called out by city inspector on rehabs/service upgrades for not bonding on first section of downstream pipe. CSST bonding fittings, I have yet to see a plumber or HVAC installer use one.

The first time I've heard of the 75' rule also

ceb58

I believe it would be compliant to bond it to the grounding electrode conductor that goes to the ground rod assuming it is #6 or larger. Truthfully you should not be going into the service panel. The only want us electricians to get hurt. LOL

To back up what Dennis said this is what the contractors board for NC said on the subject.
The Board carefully considered all aspects of this issue with respect to Section 310.1.1 of the 2012 N.C. Fuel Gas Code, the best interest of the unlicensed CSST installers and the best interest of the public. The Board determined that the referenced exemption provision of NCGS 87-43.1 would apply to installing the bonding conductor from the point where the gas service enters the building or structure and running it to a readily accessible external mounted intersystem bonding termination device, an approved grounding electrode conductor or an approved grounding electrode such as the metal frame of the building or structure, rod, or pipe, but outside of any energized electrical panels. The Board further determined that, when such external connections are not available, a licensed electrical contractor will be required to make the connection inside an energized electrical panel, or provide a termination device for use by the public.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
To back up what Dennis said this is what the contractors board for NC said on the subject.

If I remember correctly the rule for bonding csst changed in that we can now bond anywhere of the system and it does not have to bonded at the point of entry. I will try and find verification of that

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

Yes that is the gas code but I was referring to this

The IRC/2009 and IFGC/2009 state: "G2411.1.1 (310.1.1) CSST. Corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) gas piping systems shall be bonded to the electrical service grounding electrode system at the point where the gas service enters the building. "

I am quite certain either NC or the gas code has amended it to be that the bond can be anywhere on the gas piping

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
IFGC 2012

310.1.1 CSST.
Corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) gas piping systems shall be bonded to the electrical service grounding electrode system. The bonding jumper shall connect to a metallic pipe or fitting between the point of delivery and the first downstream CSST fitting. The bonding jumper shall be not smaller than 6 AWG copper wire or equivalent. Gas piping systems that contain one or more segments of CSST shall be bonded in accordance with this section.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That's a good diagram. One of the methods shown is a bonding connection directly to the breaker panel. IMHO, if I were a mechanical contractor, rather than remove the breaker panel cover thereby exposing myself to the possibility of electrocution, I would cut away the insulation on either the electrode conductor, CEE (or water main bonding wire) and bug the gas bonding wire there.

With respect to the liability that kwired brought up here is an interesting article in EC&M Magazine http://ecmweb.com/bonding-amp-grounding/whose-job-it-bond-corrugated-stainless-steel-tubing-csst

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'd like to add something else to this gas pipe bonding issue. Where gas meters are located inside a residence the black iron piping is probably not painted and the ground clamp can be properly installed. However, where meters are installed outside, the piping (at least from what I've seen) is painted to inhibit rust and corrosion. I'm sure the gas companies will have heartburn with installing a ground clamp there.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
It is important to know what cycle you are on. Ohio is on the 2009 IFGC.

310.JPG

Remember that it is the system that has to be bonded where 'it' enters the building, in my example, and not necessarily where the GES 'enters the building'.

kwired

Electron manager
I'd like to add something else to this gas pipe bonding issue. Where gas meters are located inside a residence the black iron piping is probably not painted and the ground clamp can be properly installed. However, where meters are installed outside, the piping (at least from what I've seen) is painted to inhibit rust and corrosion. I'm sure the gas companies will have heartburn with installing a ground clamp there.

"Teeth" in the pipe bonding clamps make it unnecessary to remove paint or other thin coatings from the pipe from what I understand. Even "black pipe" may have some coating on it that is not conductive, or even surface rust.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
"Teeth" in the pipe bonding clamps make it unnecessary to remove paint or other thin coatings from the pipe from what I understand. Even "black pipe" may have some coating on it that is not conductive, or even surface rust.
That's a valid point but would you take the chance that by not scraping the paint that it might not be an effective bond ? I'd probably hand tighten the screws and then move the clamp back and forth a few times to make sure it gripped. Just my old fashioned way of thinking.:cool:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I don't see how you can comply with the rule that says you can't use the gas piping as a GE yet run a #6 wire between the gas pipe and the GES.

The bonding takes place after the meter and the meter has a dielectric fitting so the underground portion is not made into an electrode. They don't care if the gas pipe is tied to the grounding electrode system they just don't want the underground gas line to be a grounding electrode conductor.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The bonding takes place after the meter and the meter has a dielectric fitting so the underground portion is not made into an electrode. They don't care if the gas pipe is tied to the grounding electrode system they just don't want the underground gas line to be a grounding electrode conductor.

It does say the "above ground" portion, but that seems to only apply to sections you can bond with the EGC.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
It does say the "above ground" portion, but that seems to only apply to sections you can bond with the EGC.

It is not an equipment grounding conductor. The above ground portion is all that is needed as it is all connected together. Hit the black Iron as it enters the building== assuming the meter is outside and your good to go. You don't have to bond each piece of the CSST

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I had someone on one of the forums say that they would peel back the jacket and install the #6 to the actual pipe. :happysad: Yikes- total violation

Also, I know that the gas code says #6 however I know that omegaflex requires a bond based on 250.66. I just always put in a bond based on that to cover my butt-- somewhat at least

Status
Not open for further replies.