Romex tools etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOHNEO99

Hi again

Just checking out some tools for romex installation and I know some of you have been doing romex your whole career so I thought Id see what you recommend for strippers, cutters etc.

I have done a few hundred houses (as supervisor) with romex so I have a clue on what to use but Im lookin for some solid advice on quality and performance of these types of tools.

Actually any hints/tricks are also welcome in this thread.

480sparky

Other than the strippers specially designed for taking sheath off of 14/2 and 12/2, I don't think there's any different tools you need.

'Cept for maybe a Romex stapler.

hurk27

Open spool caddys, reel jack, staples, or a stapler, green wire nuts with the hole in the end, drill, stripers, linemans pliers, hammer, saw, screw drivers, drill/driver, ladders, truck or van.

Oh and some romex to run:D

peter d

I just became a true believer in the romex strippers with the 90 degree angled head. But that's because I'm one of those guys (hacks) who puts the cable in the box first then strips it. ;)

Buck Parrish

Hi again

Just checking out some tools for romex installation and I know some of you have been doing romex your whole career so I thought Id see what you recommend for strippers, cutters etc.

I have done a few hundred houses (as supervisor) with romex so I have a clue on what to use but Im lookin for some solid advice on quality and performance of these types of tools.

Actually any hints/tricks are also welcome in this thread.

Ideal strippers with the curved yellow handles.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I just became a true believer in the romex strippers with the 90 degree angled head. But that's because I'm one of those guys (hacks) who puts the cable in the box first then strips it. ;)
I'm not, but I'm interested in them anyway.

zappy

Gotta have a gas powered chainsaw! There's just something about a chainsaw that give's me that fuzzy feelin.:grin:

danickstr

I still just strip the cable in the box with my razor blade. I may look at that 90 degree thingy, but I have a love hate relationship with gadgets. Also, instead of 250' coil reels that hang, try spinning the wire around your head like a lasso for short runs of 30' or so. It works, if you don't hit anything or anyone in the vicinity.

TOOL_5150

I still just strip the cable in the box with my razor blade. I may look at that 90 degree thingy, but I have a love hate relationship with gadgets. Also, instead of 250' coil reels that hang, try spinning the wire around your head like a lasso for short runs of 30' or so. It works, if you don't hit anything or anyone in the vicinity.

I actually do that same thing for short runs, works good with MC too.

~Matt

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
SitSpin.jpg

The new Sit & Spin wire dispenser Goldstar-1 model.:grin: Laugh if you want to but it works and doesn't jam up. I saw it on the side of the road on garbage day, hit the brakes and picked it up, made a slight modification by adding some 1/2" plywood to the bottom and "Voilla". You can go to the supply house and spend $140.00 on a Racketeers model. I don't look for prestige on the job - just looking to get it done.;)

ElectricianJeff

The new Sit & Spin wire dispenser Goldstar-1 model.:grin: Laugh if you want to but it works and doesn't jam up. I saw it on the side of the road on garbage day, hit the brakes and picked it up, made a slight modification by adding some 1/2" plywood to the bottom and "Voilla". You can go to the supply house and spend $140.00 on a Racketeers model. I don't look for prestige on the job - just looking to get it done.;)

I'm getting one of those! Thanks for the tip.

mcclary's electrical

Both of these methods are time wasters, and I would be ashamed to lasso wire around my head. How can you do that in a house anyway? just my opinion. Lay a hand roll on the ground and spool off what you need in your hand, then walk it out. Always strip wire before you put it into the box. When you look into the box, I don't like to see more than 1/4" to 3/8" of sheath.

Status
Not open for further replies.