Changes in AL wire in 2008 code period

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parts house told me today that a change in the temp rating of (for example) 4/0, is no longer going to allow it to be used to feed 200 amps for service conductors. It kind of caught me off guard. Apparently the manuf. is making the change according to them. I'm just looking for a heads up on this since I've used AL on my services for quite some time.

iwire

Staff member
My parts house told me today that a change in the temp rating of (for example) 4/0, is no longer going to allow it to be used to feed 200 amps for service conductors. It kind of caught me off guard. Apparently the manuf. is making the change according to them. I'm just looking for a heads up on this since I've used AL on my services for quite some time.

Your heard wrong.

Nothing has changed for SE used as service conductors.

However a change in 334.80 now means that SE used for indoor feeders or branch circuits has to used based on the 60 C column of 310.16.

Occupation
Inspector

I would venture to bet that the counter guy was referring to the change of the ampacity as found in 338.10(B)(4). And as Iwire pointed out.

Last edited:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
It sounds like you supply house should stick to giving out code books rather than electrical advice.:roll:

iMuse97

Thanks guys.... Just read a bunch of older threads and got to the same conclusion. Rumors often times grow into code in these parts. Thanks again.

Is that because the more sensible the people are, the less likely it is that they will want to bother with understanding the picky, legalese of today's NEC? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.