Incertidunbre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esthy

Transformer to meter = Service wires ...
From meter to panel = Feeder ...
So, I can use for a 100 amps panel 4 THHN AWG = 100 x 83% = 83 amps
So, I can use 8 THHN AWG for the grounding
So, regarding the size of the neutral (don't find the table in this, new for me the 2014 NEC, maybe the same 4) and been suggested by the inspector... I don't like those sizes ... Because I think it's the REALLY minimum! ... Am I righ? Wrong?

Esthy

Thanks ActionDave, I always listen the forum, but 8 for the grounding is good? not too small? I don't find the table for the neutral in2014 ... Is there one?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
There is no table for neutral, it's based on calculated load but can't be smaller than EGC.

With few exceptions I go one size smaller than the hots for my neutral and always size my EGC off of 250.122. Knowing how conservative the NEC is I have no worry about using #8.

Esthy

Thanks again, been of the market for so many years I get confuse with tables. It is a short run of 40' and I have enough 4 to use a neutral as well. I don't know if is me, but does the NEC gets more complicate as years pass by?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The conductors from the meter to the panel are still service entrance conductors. They do not become feeders until after the first overcurrent protective device.

Esthy

Whoa, this was a discussion today with the inspector, I said service conductors and he said NO, those are feeders, so .... What? He said service conductors to the meter and from the meter to the service panel is a feeder. Wait, there is a main breaker at the meter, so is a feeder them? What a jumbo mumbo!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Whoa, this was a discussion today with the inspector, I said service conductors and he said NO, those are feeders, so .... What? He said service conductors to the meter and from the meter to the service panel is a feeder. Wait, there is a main breaker at the meter, so is a feeder them? What a jumbo mumbo!
If there is a main breaker at the meter, than the conductors on the load side of the breaker are feeder conductors. They are service entrance conductors until they hit the first overcurrent protective device (breaker).

Esthy

Most of the time I like to use common sense and don't do things as a horse with blinders, so, using common sense, I know I will get scolded, again here. I am doing a replacement of 100 service for another 100 service and inspectors, one for the city and one for the manufacturer, after a pre-inspection approved that. BUT, without load calculation, and I don't want to do that for economic reasons as most of the work is donated and we don't have more funds, I see that there is an electric furnace with a 60 amps breaker, electric water heater with a 30 amps, dryer with a 30, stove with a 40, 3 = 20s and 3 = 15s for general light and receptacles and there are extra appliances that were not there 28 years ago, as microwave, large flat TV, electrified shed and carpool and others ... So, my CS tell me to run at least 3 AWG with a 125 service and not 4 AWG ... Will I get scolded again?

Esthy

Ptonsparky, pardon my ignorance, but I don't find any of those free resources or anything else. Would you elaborate. Thanks!

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

1114622005.jpg

Invite the inspector out for pancakes. Print this out and lay it on his placemat. Pass the syrup.

Esthy

So, the inspector is right! Under the meter there is a disconnect breaker and from there the conductors go to the inside panel. No been too familiar with American slan, the pankekas is because he is right?

Status
Not open for further replies.