Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: double lug for meter socket

double lug for meter socket

I am having a tough time finding the parts to complete a parallel 4/0 service. I ran parallel 4/0 service conductors from utility pole to Milbank 200 amp underground meter socket.(long run) Now I can't seem to get the right lugs to terminate the two 4/0 conductors. The supplier I deal with has tried twice to give me a double lug connector and they are not fitting. I asked about this last week but would appreciate a few more details, I am having a tough time. Is there a special double lug that fits in the meter socket? Do you know who makes it or what does it look like? A don't believe the utility will allow a splice before the meter. Thanks again for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by AKwiring View Post
    I am having a tough time finding the parts to complete a parallel 4/0 service. I ran parallel 4/0 service conductors from utility pole to Milbank 200 amp underground meter socket.(long run) Now I can't seem to get the right lugs to terminate the two 4/0 conductors. The supplier I deal with has tried twice to give me a double lug connector and they are not fitting. I asked about this last week but would appreciate a few more details, I am having a tough time. Is there a special double lug that fits in the meter socket? Do you know who makes it or what does it look like? A don't believe the utility will allow a splice before the meter. Thanks again for the help!
    Around here, I get it from the power company, the same people I get my meter bases from. They always have double lugs for setting a 320 and feeding (2) 200 amp MBP's. I did one the same way yesterday.

They make them, Milbank. Tell your supplier to get these. As mentioned here before, I have no problems getting meter bases and the lugs ordered at the same time.

I see, nice for feeding two panels. Can you put a double lug on the line side?

This is the meter socket I have.(residential) The main lugs are not side by side but are staggered. Do I need a special meter that takes the double lugs.

U3798 underground residential meter socket

Paralled 4/0's on a 200 amp service how long a run was it, 900 feet? I don't believe you can get the lugs you need with that meter back, have you called Milbank direct? 877-483-5314 Around here it is acceptable to splice them and use a couple of Polaris Insulated Tap connectors inside the pan (if there's room) and just bring one 250 MCM up to each lug.

http://www.tork.com/article.aspx
    Last edited by ZZZ; 12-03-09 at 12:11 AM.
    Sometimes the best education is the one we didn't expect.

I'll have to correct my earlier post, we now have to run the paralled lines into a lockable gutter to splice them.
    Sometimes the best education is the one we didn't expect.

Quote Originally Posted by chris kennedy View Post
    They make them, Milbank. Tell your supplier to get these. As mentioned here before, I have no problems getting meter bases and the lugs ordered at the same time.
    Hey Chris,
    How about www.Hialeahmeter.com ? They seem to have some unusual lugs in stock.

The run is 430' to where the new home main panel will be. The utility requires minimum of 500 cirmils wirefor this length. 440' requires parallel 4/0. I figured the 4/0 would be a lot easier to work with.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Run like that for us means we are out in the middle of nowhere. Use a terminal box ahead of the meter then drop down to 200A wire. A 200A TB costs about 120, a 400 about 250. 2" conduit is about all you want to get into the bottom of a 200A TB.
    Tom
    TBLO