Rough Wire New Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Daddy

I have a new employee working by himself on roughing in a new home in Delaware the home is roughly 2,000 to 2,500 Square feet. The first day we were at the home I put in the panel and service, and he worked inside putting in boxes and drilling holes after that he worked by himself there is 46 switches, 86 receptacle boxes 10 recessed cans, how long roughly on average would it take for one person to wire up a home like this? Just need a guess. Also had an inspector for the rough inspection say he wanted all the wires in the boxes to be stripped, spliced and ready for devices, does this sound common to anyone?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
won't guesstimate the time, but as far as cable stripped and connections made-up, that is a requirement in TN for a Rough-IN inspection by State Inspectors and by State Ordinance.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I have a new employee working by himself on roughing in a new home in Delaware the home is roughly 2,000 to 2,500 Square feet. The first day we were at the home I put in the panel and service, and he worked inside putting in boxes and drilling holes after that he worked by himself there is 46 switches, 86 receptacle boxes 10 recessed cans, how long roughly on average would it take for one person to wire up a home like this? Just need a guess. Also had an inspector for the rough inspection say he wanted all the wires in the boxes to be stripped, spliced and ready for devices, does this sound common to anyone?

I do not want to sound mean but why would you set him loose on a home by himself?

Have you ever roughed a home yourself?

If this is Delaware Ohio you may want to help him on the rough.

SEO

Also had an inspector for the rough inspection say he wanted all the wires in the boxes to be stripped, spliced and ready for devices, does this sound common to anyone?

This a requirement in my area and I hope that it is in all others as well.

Kdog76

All I know is, if you think the rough-in going long, wait till you get to trim... Sure, devices are easy enough (assuming make-up is 100%), but hanging up all those light fixtures, and all the other loose ends takes up a lot of time...2000 sq. ft house I would figure at least 8 hours on the service,
4-5 8 hour days on rough-in, including making up the panel (or here in WI you can do that at trim) and maybe 3 days on trim depending... I figure high on a lot of that, and I don't do much new resi anymore.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I never worked on a house that small, but I would say that at the time my boss and I could probably wire that in two days. by myself with makeup I would guess a week, maybe less. Depends on a couple of things a single story is easier to rough than a two story.

Unless it's piece work then two days, with a bunch of corrections at rough inspection.:)

Edit: Not a bad guess, since I haven't done a house in almost 25 years, thanks Kdog76.

Last edited:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Not so much a requirement here, but is good practice anyway. Why wouldn't you want to have your cables made-up at time of rough in?

How else would an inspector check the correct length of ALL conductors? Yes they could be cut shorter later. Again the connection of conductors. The EGC's. The separation of grounded conductors of different circuits. Etc.

480sparky

There's too many variables you don't mention. Are all the boxes totally made up and ready for devices? Are all the homeruns landed in the panel, with grounds and neutrals on the bar? If there's a basement, is everything 99% done there (sump receptacle, service ground run to water meter location, furnace piped & switched, laundry if in this location wired completely, switches/keyless/etc done up, smoke detector.....), or is a NM just dropped into place?

Or is everything just in place enough for the inspector to okee-dokee it and the builder can call the insulators?

mcclary's electrical

All I know is, if you think the rough-in going long, wait till you get to trim... Sure, devices are easy enough (assuming make-up is 100%), but hanging up all those light fixtures, and all the other loose ends takes up a lot of time...2000 sq. ft house I would figure at least 8 hours on the service,
4-5 8 hour days on rough-in, including making up the panel (or here in WI you can do that at trim) and maybe 3 days on trim depending... I figure high on a lot of that, and I don't do much new resi anymore.

You are slow, and this is an example of how people get beat on bids. I could rough this house in (as long as it's not custom) in 24-28 hrs. That's including the service. Trim out in 14-18. Guaranteed.

mkgrady

You are slow, and this is an example of how people get beat on bids. I could rough this house in (as long as it's not custom) in 24-28 hrs. That's including the service. Trim out in 14-18. Guaranteed.

That would seem about right if you were doing lots of houses of the same variety with lots of repetition. If this is just one one of a kind house I would take alot longer.

celtic

Speaking in "general terms"...

Including getting all the items required to perform the job:
69 hours to rough.

All boxes made up, all strapping, neutral and grounds landed in panel [no CB connections]

36 hours to trim

frankft2000

Speaking in "general terms"...

Including getting all the items required to perform the job:
69 hours to rough.

All boxes made up, all strapping, neutral and grounds landed in panel [no CB connections]

36 hours to trim

This is closest to my estimate.

ksmith846

One of my 2 man crews would take about 1.5 weeks to rough and another week to trim. They get stupid when they touch romex. If they can't run conduit for homeruns then branch out they lose it.

They can wire an entire department store,but not a house. Heck I can't even try to bid any residential.

daleuger

One of my 2 man crews would take about 1.5 weeks to rough and another week to trim. They get stupid when they touch romex. If they can't run conduit for homeruns then branch out they lose it.

They can wire an entire department store,but not a house. Heck I can't even try to bid any residential.

I know the feeling. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.