Electrical Supplys and the Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsbrush

Would it ever be possible some way some how to make it where electrical supply's were not sold to consumer's.

You can't buy certain items for A/C's and our stuff kills people everyday.

Just think what it would do for the electrical industry as a whole.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Yes but then you would have to stop selling plumbing supplies too. Before I bought my house there was a water damage claim on it and my insurance company said the they would not touch it for 5 years.

Someone else suggested that they not sell brakes to DIYers, only let the certified guys do it.

Circular saws should only be sold to carpenters.

Guns should only be sold to cops and soldiers.

When does it stop?

iwire

Staff member
Would it ever be possible some way some how to make it where electrical supply's were not sold to consumer's.

I hope not, this is America and to me working on ones own home should not be prohibited.

You can't buy certain items for A/C's and our stuff kills people everyday

I think the only item that is prohibited by a law is refrigerant, I think any other restrictions are just voluntary restrictions by wholesale houses. I bet you could buy most any HVAC component via the Internet.

wireguru

The A/C hardware, its the equipment manufacturers that keep their distributors from selling to just anyone. Its done to protect the trade of the installers, nothing to do with safety.

hurk27

I hope not, this is America and to me working on ones own home should not be prohibited.

I think the only item that is prohibited by a law is refrigerant, I think any other restrictions are just voluntary restrictions by wholesale houses. I bet you could buy most any HVAC component via the Internet.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said times a hundred^^^^^^^^^^^

anyone can reserve the right to refuse service, as long as it is not in a discriminating fashion, we have an HVAC supply house here that won't even sell you a replacement motor if you don't have a HVAC certification, but that is their right.

But I'm glade this is not a law, as I too do all my own work, on most of my own stuff, and please don't ever take that right from me.:mad:

ceb58

The A/C hardware, its the equipment manufacturers that keep their distributors from selling to just anyone. Its done to protect the trade of the installers, nothing to do with safety.

I have been told by the HVAC supply houses it is due to warranty issues and certain parts such as compressors, line dryers and such you also are supposed to have the EPA cert. for refrigerant to install these parts. And as a byproduct it protects the trade.

jmsbrush

IMO, I think when you own an EC business rather than working in trade or being associated with the trade, ones opinions and views are a little different than if you were to own an EC business trying to provide work for your men.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
IMO, I think when you own an EC business rather than working in trade or being associated with the trade, ones opinions and views are a little different than if you were to own an EC business trying to provide work for your men.

Yes, but if you keep up along those lines of thinking, pretty soon your guys are going to want to get paid what they think they're worth and not what you're willing to pay them.:roll:

hurk27

I have been told by the HVAC supply houses it is due to warranty issues and certain parts such as compressors, line dryers and such you also are supposed to have the EPA cert. for refrigerant to install these parts. And as a byproduct it protects the trade.

Sorry, I don't buy that (excuse the pun)

a warranty can not be voided unless it is proved it was installed wrong, wrong part used, Etc.... this has nothing to do with requiring for a HVAC certificate, there is case law on warranty rejection, is in all cases where the manufacture tried to say the installer wasn't qualified the court ruled prove it was installed wrong, not just that they were not qualified.

you mean a manufacture can reject my warranty if I put a new oil filter on my car? spark plugs? brakes because I don't have a mechanic certificate? nope they have to prove they were incorrectly installed or the wrong part was used, I cant think of the name of the case law that pertains to this, I will try to look it up though, but, this is the same argument that they try to pull all the time, but it wouldn't fly in court.

so that leaves only one reason left. funny how the big name retailers can sell to whom ever they want? like Granger's??? Like Bob said refrigerant, and only certain ones can not be sold with out a valid EPA certification. and this isn't even an HVAC certificate, just and EPA issued one. These places wont even sell to you if you have the EPA version and not the HVAC one, and guess where you have to get that from:roll:

Myths and more Myths

iwire

Staff member

Of course our own situation effects our views, no doubt about it.:)

I have a lot of respect for those that take the plunge and run a business.:cool: It's not for me, I could not take the pressure.

That said, when you decided to go into business there where DIYs, and I bet you are a DIY with other trades. But now you want a law that makes life easier for you by curtailing other peoples freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.